chapter 2 - reunited

Josie's Pov

Arriving at the stadium I'm nervous to see everyone. It's been a while since I've seen my brother or Joe. They have been busy with football, and my brother never comes back to Chicago anyway. Our communication has been mostly online since he moved out here. Not that I blame him though, his relationship with our mom isn't the best either. She puts a lot of pressure on him to be the best at what he does. Joe hasn't been home in a while either, not since the beginning of summer break. He worked his ass off all summer to get a starting position, which is what all the players are striving for, getting to start every game. My brother is now the starting quarterback as well after the previous one graduated last year. He had to red skirt his freshman year, so he is taking college for over five years. For him, that means three years as a starting quarterback, so not too shabby getting that much playing time.

This time I don't put Luna in her stroller, instead, I carry her on my hip. She is getting heavier, but it's not a problem carrying a two-year-old even though I'm short. I might have spent the time before I headed out for coffee obsessing over my outfit to look my best. I'm not a big fashionista but I want to make a good impression and look good when I see Joe again.

There has never been a romantic relationship, apart from that one passionate night, between me and Joe. We parted as friends, and it stayed that way after I found out I was pregnant. He was there for me through the whole pregnancy and our senior year, I couldn't have gotten through it without him. Of course, there have been thoughts about "what if we got together" in my mind but I'm not his type. Besides, I don't want to fuck up the situation we got going with Luna. She needs two stable parents, so we can't be messing around. Worst comes to worst we try something, and it ends in a disaster that affects her.

My dad gave me a key card when I arrived yesterday, so I use it to enter the stadium and into the player's quarters. They have a sweet gig set up here with snacks, seating, and all sorts of exercise equipment. The perk of being the coach's daughter is that I get to use this as well, the exercise stuff. It's probably the best gym in the city other than the Seahawks gym. Everything in here is in the signature dark purple and yellow color scheme of the Huskies.

"There she is" I hear my brother holler and I turn to face the cooky face my brother is sporting. He is a real flirt, and I've heard the rumors about him making his way through the groupies on campus. Not something a sister wants to know about her brother, but I can't do anything about it either.

"Hey," I say and give him a quick hug before there is a stream of guys passing us by and fist-bumping my brother. The room is filled with testosterone with me being the lone woman here. Most of the guys keep their distance and don't dare to linger their eyes on me. I suspect it has something to do with my brother who is looking as good as usual. We might be related, but we don't look the same. My hair is dirty blond while he is dark brown and has dark brown eyes. After all the hours working out, he has a solid set of muscles too.

Before I can comment on him talking to his team my little girl shrieks. "There my little girl is" it comes from behind me, so I turn to face Joe who is coming towards us. There are some shocked expressions around the room when I peek. I don't know how much he has told the team about his life back in Chicago, but I don't like the thought of being a dirty secret if he hasn't told anyone. Not that I expect him to wear a sign, but should it be that surprising? Or am I just overreacting?

"Dada" Luna wiggles out of my arms and I set her down so she can toddle her way over to Joe who picks her up and swings her around. Even though he hasn't seen her much for the last year he is a good dad and Luna loves him.

"Yo walker, is this your kid?" one of the players calls out and Joe settles Luna on his hip before answering. "Yeah Oli, this is my little girl Luna" he sounds so proud and that makes my insides all gooey. I want him to be proud of having a daughter, not hide her away somewhere, and only be a dad in private. But this is one of the things I like about him, that he is all in, and I should have known he would at least tell people he has a kid. He might not have told everyone but at least some.