Chapter 9 - meeting up with fina

Josie's Pov

I met up with Fina after her shift at the coffee shop. We grab coffee and sit at one of the tables in the back. Since we are both busy people it can be hard to find time to spend together. However, she has an hour free before her last class of the day and I have some time before I need to pick up Luna from daycare. Perfectly timed we get to spend some time together. And I need to spill my frustration about my run-in with Joe yesterday.

"So we ran into one another at the bookstore, and he asked me flat out if I flirted with Oliver" I huff and tell her the whole story of our run-in. I kept thinking about it over and over again yesterday after I got back home. He acted so weirdly, and I want to know why. He looked... pissed, to say the least. I don't know what was up with that. How he could think I would ever get with his friend I don't know. Doesn't he know me better than that?

"That's a jerk move. But you know why he did it Josie" she says and bites her lip and I furrow my eyebrows "Why?"

"Isn't it obvious? He is into you. Everyone can see it if they look at how he acts around you and look at you" She says with a grin, but I shake my head. "He isn't. A guy like him, someone so... charismatic and who could get any girl he wants... He wouldn't be into me like that. We are co-parents, that's it" I keep telling myself that, but it hurts to think of him with another girl. I can't have him, and I never will, but that doesn't mean I want anyone else to have him either. One day though, my heart will hurt because I'll see a girl on his arm that he looks at like she is his whole world, and I will still be just me, his baby mama he is forced to keep around.

"Don't sell yourself short, you're an amazing girl and he would be lucky to have you. But You are blind Josie. Just wait and see" She can't stop smiling and it's hard to keep from joining her. If the stereotypical "good girl" had a face in the dictionary it would be her face plastered there. I haven't met someone like her before, and I love her already. I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time before I can say I have a best friend. Which I haven't had since I got pregnant, and everyone ditched me.

"What about you? We can't only talk about my problems" I say, and she shrugs. "My sister is giving me a hard time. She is a senior in high school, but a competitive gymnast. She is already an Olympian from the last summer Olympics, but she is working her ass off to get another shot as well. She is working herself into the ground, and now she wants to go to college next year. She is insane"

I haven't heard much about her family, but I knew she had a sister. However, I didn't know she was an Olympian. That's impressive for a high schooler. But when I think about it, I think I saw the name Ricci when I was watching the Olympics on TV last summer Olympics. "She is an all-around silver medalist at the Olympics. That's a big deal, but she is so hard on herself about not getting that gold medal. But now she is applying to attend college here next fall as an athlete, but I don't think it's a good idea."

She goes on to tell me how she thinks her sister will work herself more into the ground than ever before if she gets to go to college. The next summer Olympics is next summer, so if she is joining here as an athlete, it would mean she is going to another Olympics after that. "She basically told me that she will keep competing until she is incapable of doing it anymore or gets injured beyond saving" She rubs her temple and I feel bad for her.

"Will she be a full-time student? Because that sounds impossible" I say and she shakes her head "No, only a few classes, but that's a few too many. I know she wants to move out here, away from San Francisco because she is sick of living with our parents. But seriously, if she comes here, she becomes my responsibility. I can't deal with her. I love her but it would be chaos, she is chaos."

Fina grew up in San Francisco with her parents who work in the tech industry for some big-name company I don't know the name of because she hasn't said. But she is still humble and works at a coffee shop because she loves to have something to do. She doesn't have to work, I've gathered that much, but she just wants to.