chapter 6 - gossip

Josie's Pov

It's much needed to go to the climbing gym today. Thank god joe could watch Luna and I could get a workout in. When it comes to working out, I'm up for almost anything, except for surfing, but climbing is one of my favorite things to do. Being high in the air and only focusing on making it to the top using my hands and feet is thrilling. It also means that nothing else can occupy my mind, or I fall. I'm not particularly fond of that part, so I work hard on getting through without any falls. Of course, I do fall, but it's the goal that counts right?

I slip on my shoes as I look around the gym. This place has those automatic relay systems, so you don't need a climbing partner. That suits me just right because I don't have one. I like these types of gyms because I can put in my earplugs and just focus on my own. And sometimes I don't put in any at all and just let the natural sounds of the gym combined with my concentration on the task at hand muddle my other thoughts.

After three rounds, where I feel once, I take a break to have some water. There is a decent amount of people here tonight, but not too crowded either. There is plenty of space for everyone, and most people are in their own little bubbles anyway. My blood is pumping, and I feel alive when I'm using my body.

"You come here often?" a guy comes up to me and asks. I guess by society's standards his ken like look is considered hot. But it doesn't do it for me right now. "No I'm new to town," I say politely. I might not want to talk to this stranger, but I don't need to be rude either, that's not like me.

"You wanna go grab a drink after this?" he asks straight out and I'm impressed by his forwardness, not many guys are that direct. Most beat around the bush and throw you for a loop before asking you out, at least that's what I've heard and read in books. "I'm sorry, I'm not interested" There is no need to lead this poor guy on, but I'm happy I turned him down when he looks offended that a stranger didn't want to get a drink with him. Should I be grateful or something? I think not. I don't know him.

He puffs out his chest before he disappears back to who I assume are his friends, and I'm certain that if I listen closely enough, I can hear him complain about me. Some people have a sense of entitlement I don't understand. Humbleness is the key to life. You can be humble and confident at the same time, but many seem to forget that I guess.

It's not that I didn't find him attractive, because I did, but I'm not feeling like going out with anyone right now. The urge to go on dates, and have epic kisses under the stars isn't there. That might be the bookworm in me that dreams about kisses in the rain, under the stars, or in the middle of the football field with a crowd around you cheering. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I read that in a book. Why do I need a boyfriend when I have my trusted book boyfriends? They would never let me down.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My phone keeps going off when I've finished climbing for today, and I don't understand what's going on. Can't I have one evening in peace without any outside distractions? Clearly not. There is always something happening. Without delaying it further, I grab my phone to see what all the fuss is about.

Huskiegossip: alert students. Looks like our gunner not only has a kid but with no other than his quarterback's sister, who also happens to be the legacy coach's daughter. Talk about complicated. Josephine Coleman, you're on my radar.

I have no idea who is behind the school's unofficial update account, but I was told by my brother it was a good idea to follow it and see what's going on at school. Right now I wish I didn't because I certainly didn't want to see myself being headline news. Nothing is interesting about me, why give out my full name, and god why add my picture? Now everyone is going to know who I am as long as they care enough to follow the gossip app.