chapter 1

"Get up! Sell the papers!" Mr. Kloppman yelled as he began to wake the newsies. He woke us up at 6:00 sharp every morning. Nobody wants to be up at that ungodly hour, but we gotta make money somehow.

Just so we're clear here, my name is Alexia. My papa was killed by some angry drunk man with a gun, and my mother died giving birth to me. And that makes me an orphan. Jack found me cryin' in an alley way, so he took me in, and ever since I've been living here with the newsies. They're the best group of people to know. They look out for me and teach me how to fight. We're like family. No, we are family.

Kloppman comes over to me, as all the other boys are gettin' up, and gently wakes me up.

"Get up, my little beauty!" He smiles. I smile back.

But then roll onto my side, "Can't I get up in a year?" I groan.

He obviously tells me I can't, but it's worth a try. I sit up and scratch my head. I can tell that my hair is a mess. The boys are beginning to get out of bed, some are already in the washroom.

Mush stands next to Jack and slaps him on the back, "How'd ya sleep Jack?"

"On me back Mush." He groans.

Mush laughs loudly, "Aye fellas, did ya hear that? I asked Jack how he slept and he said on me back Mush!"

Mush jokingly  punches him in the stomach and Jack shoves him.

I smile at Jack's comment and Jack slung his arm over my shoulder, "Good mornin', Lex."

"Good mornin', Jack." I look up at Jack, he was about a foot taller than me.

We walk into the bathroom. It was hectic in there; boys shaving and bathing, singing and fighting. Jack walks over to one of the mirrors and begins to shave. I walk around the group of chaotic boys and over to the water pump, where Crutchy is standing.

"Hiya Alexia!" He smiles as he pumps water into a small tub as a younger newsies smokes a cigar and bathes.

I playfully shove him and grab a rag from the wooden shelves. After being drenched in cold water, I wipe my face and look at my reflection in the mirror.

You're gonna be alright. Don't let Papa's death get to you. Don't let it, Alexia.

I took a deep breath and realized I had to use the bathroom. Finally, one of the boys walked out of the stalls. I knew someone else would have to go, so I ran as quick as I could. Kid Blink and I met at the same time.

"Please Blink? I'll be quick." I pleaded.

"Fine. Hurry up." He sighed.

"You're the best." I smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

It's funny, the only reason that Blink let me go is because I'm a girl. I practically can do whatever I want when I'm with the boys.

Soon after, everyone began to leave the boarding house, money in hand. Jack tied his red bandana around his neck, "Let's go Lexi!" He called.

"I'm comin'!" I yelled. I quickly brushed my browns curls into a neat bun. A few curls fell onto my shoulders, but I didn't care. I liked it that way.

*comment and vote, if you like the story💜*