chapter 9

Spot caught me.

He put me down and looked into my eyes. He took the key from around his neck and put it around mine. It dangled on my chest.
"So, they call me the King of Brooklyn."

"Yeah?" I ask him.

He bows, "Goodnight, my Queen."

I laugh, "Goodnight."

He kisses me one last time and opens the door of the newsie shelter for me.

As I walked out of the stall after I changed, Race crosses his arms behind me.

"Where were ya? We were all worried."

"I... went to see a friend. I'm fine, don't worry." I tried to walk to my bed, but he blocked me.

He grabbed the key from around my neck, "Spot Conlon? You went to see Spot Conlon? And considerin' the time and that key around by ya neck, I take it wasn't just a friendly visit."

"Okay! I was with Spot! He's funny and kind and..." My stomach had butterflies.

"Look, ya know Jack won't be very happy when he finds out that you've been with Spot Conlon." He lit a cigar.

"Who's gonna tell?" I raised my eyebrow, "I'll tell him. Just not now. Promise."

I took my hair down and kissed Race on the cheek, "Goodnight."

The next morning, I woke up and saw that Racetrack, Kid Blink, Mush, and Bumlets were starin' at me. I closed my eyes again, "Why are you starin' at me?"

"We heard that you're Spot Conlon's girl. Wanted to see if it's true." Mush stated.

I perked up, "You didn't tell Jack did ya? Answer me, Race!"
He swatted, "Nah. As long as ya tell him."

I huffed, "I will, I will."

*Sorry that this chapter is so short. The next one will be longer. Please like and vote for my story! Thanks.