chapter 4

The next morning, we all got up and headed to the distribution center. Kid Blink and a few other guys sat on the stairs, moping.

"What's goin' on?" Jack asked.

"They jacked up the prices!" A boy told him.

"I can barely afford papes at the regular price! I can't afford it now!" Another boy shouted.

"Why the jack up Weasel?"

Weasel looked around, "It's a nice day... Why don't you ask Mr. Pulitzer?"

We all walked out onto the street. We can't afford that. What are we gonna do?

"We'll strike." Jack yells. As David whipers into his ear, Jack begins to talk to the Newsies.

"Pulitzer and Hearst, they think we're nothin'. Are we nothin'?" He yells.

"No!" The boys yell.

~

The boys were convinced to strike. I said we needed to organize, get more needed to strike with us.

We sent a small group of boys to each city. All that was left was Brooklyn.

"Alright, Brooklyn! Who wants Brooklyn?" Jack says.

Nobody spoke up.

"C'mon, ya scared of Brooklyn?" I ask.

"We ain't scared of Brooklyn! Spot Conlon makes us a little nervous." Boots speaks up.

"Well, I ain't scared of Brooklyn. So how 'bout you and me, Boots? David will come, too." Jack says.

"And me, right?" I said.

"I don't think you should, Lexi." Jack said.

"Why?  What's wrong with Brooklyn?"

"It's not Brooklyn that's the problem, it's the people there. Spot Conlon specifically."

"I'm going." I stated, crossing my arms.

"Fine, but don't talk to any of those newsies, especially Spot."

"I can handle myself."

"Please?"

"Don't worry about me, Jack."

Everyone begins to run in different directions. David, Boots, Jack, and I walk towards Brooklyn.

Once we get to Brooklyn, Jack and Boots stop at the bridge.

"I spent a year in Brooklyn one night." Boots spoke. We laughed at Boots' joke and continued to walk.

Once we got to the docks, I felt a little nervous. I had no idea why.

A newsie's voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Jump in baby, the water's fine." He called from the water.

"Not my type." I shrugged. Some of the boys laughed at my comment.

"Well if it ain't Jack be nimble, Jack be quick." A voice says.

A boy with blue eyes jumps down in front of us.

The boy that saved me had blue eyes. Coincidence?

"So, you've moved up in the world, Spot." Jack responds. "Got a river view and everything."

Spot chuckles and we all walk over by a pile of wooden crates for some privacy.

"So, I take it ya heard about the strike?" Jack said

"Yeah. From little birds." He aimed his slingshot at a bottle.

"Are ya gonna help us and join?" Jack asked impatiently.

"I don't know. I need ya to convince me. How can I trust ya? How can I know that ya won't run off the first time a goon comes at ya with a club?" He fires the slingshot and the glass bottle breaks.

"We're ain't scared of anything." I chime in, my arms crossed over my chest.

Spot lands his eyes on me and smirks, "Hey there sweet cheeks."

I hate when people sweet talk me.

"Don't call me that." I told him, turning my head to look at the view.

He smirked,"Well my bad. You got a name?"

"Yeah. Doesn't everyone?" I smiled.

He giggled,"Yeah, I'm sure they do."

Spot slowly walked closer to me. I looked into his eyes and he looked into mine. Jack grabbed my arm and pulled me away.

"We'll be waiting. Let us know what you decide." Jack called as he began to leave.

"Hey sweet cheeks!" Spot called.

I rolled my eyes,"What, newsie?"

"Meet me here, tonight. 9 o'clock."

"There's no way in hell she'd come here to see you, Spot." Jack said.

"I wouldn't be so sure..." Spot said as he glared at me.

I know Jack didn't want me to see Spot but as I turned to look at him, I realized that he was he one who saved me. I had to.