Chapter 11

Once we got to the court, the newsies and I went out.

The man told me I was first.
"Lucky me." I responded.
The boys giggled at my sarcasm.

The judge slammed his gavel on the table.

"Case of Alexia Brooke Meyers. Charges are: Assault on a police officer-"

I cut him off, "Hold on, Mister. Your little cop friend was beatin' on my best friend for no reason."

He cleared his throat,"And striking with the newsies. Your fine is 8 dollars or 4 weeks in solitary confinement."

"Are you kidding me?" I snapped.

"Next case, newsies. Charged-"

"I object!" Spot yelled.

"On what grounds?" The judge said.

"On the grounds of Brooklyn, mister." Spot and the boys began to laugh.

The judge slammed his gavel on the table,"Fine of 5 dollars or 3 weeks of solitary confinement."

"What? 5 dollars? We ain't got 5 cents." Racetrack said.

All of then sudden, Denton and David walk in.

"I'll pay the fines. All of them." He said.

Once I got out of the cuffs, I walked over to Spot. I grabbed onto his hand.

Then, Jack walked in, escorted by 2 police. Mr. Snyder and the judge had a conversation about him and the judge sentenced him to the refuge.

"No!" I yelled.
He walked out the doors, silent.

Denton told us to meet at the diner.
Spot and I walked together to Tibby's.

Denton announced that he couldn't cover the story about the Newsies anymore.

David got angry,"From now on, we don't trust anyone but the Newsies!" He exclaimed.
We all agreed with him.

The next day, we all showed up at the Newspaper gate. The scabbers that continued to sell papes walked out. The last on that came out was Jack.
"Tell me I'm seein' things.Just, just tell me I'm seein' things." Spot looked at Jack with a disgusted look.

"No, you're not seein' things. That's Jack! And he's dressed like a dirty scabber!" Race said.

Mush tried to push through the barricade of officers,"Jack, it's me Mush. Look at me! Jack, what are ya doin'?!"

"Ya lousy scabber! I'll soak ya!" Race screamed.

Spot pushed Race out of the way,"Come on! Let me get my hands dirty!" He jumped towards the police barricade."Come here ya dirty scabber! I'll get ya!"
Newsies around Spot grabbed him tried to hold him back. It took almost 6 of them to hold him back. I grabbed Spot's hand and he put his arm around me.
"Spot! Look at me." I said. "Don't do anything dumb to get yourself arrested."
He kissed me on the forehead,"I can't help it, sweet cheeks. He's a traitor and a dirty scabber!"

Jack eyed me and Spot. His face went from emotionless to angry.

David pushed through and passed the barricade. He was talking to Jack and seemed angry. David began to walk back, but turned around, and tried to jump Jack. Before he could, the police grabbed him.

The police, Mr. Weisel, and the scabbers walked through the crowd, protected by the barricade of officers.

I walked away with the newsies in disbelief.

Jack's a traitor!