Chapter 14

The next night, I was feelin' a lot better. Spot decided to get me out of bed, so he said he was takin' me to his favorite place.

Before we left, Jack had told us that David, Sarah, Les, and him were going to Denton's house to figure out how to win the strike.

Once Jack left, Spot took me to the abandoned building next to the the newsie house. We walked up the stairs and walked into the room that we were in before. He lit some candles and sat next to me.
"Is this a date or somethin'?" I laughed.
"Yeah. It is."
I laced my fingers through his and we talked for a while.

"Lexi?" He looked nervous about somethin'.
"Yeah?" I replied.
"I love ya." He grabbed my hand.

In the beginning, I thought that he just saved me from Oscar. Now, we've fallen in love. He talks about me to the newsies, he loves me, he defends me. He cares about me.

"I love ya too." I kissed him on the cheek.

We walked back home and sat on the fire escape.

Jack came home and told us about the plan. He said that we need to get more people to join. Not just newsies. Kids who were forced to work with little pay. They were plannin' on using Weisel's printing press to make newspapers.

"What can we do?" I asked Jack.
"Get the word to Brooklyn. Most of the sweatshop and factory workers are there." He said.

"Let's go!" I grabbed Spot's hand and dragged him with me.

We finally arrived at the dock where all the newsies were. I walked with Spot to his post. He got the newsies' attention and announced the plan.

"You saw Jack! He's a scabber!" One of the newsies yelled.
Spot looked at me and I stood tall.
"He's not anymore! He's trying to win! We need all of you to spread the word!" I yelled.
They still didn't seem convinced.
"If you won't do it for the newsies of Manhattan, do if for you! Ya know that they will raise the price of ya papes, too. We have to stop them!"

"What do ya think Spot?" Another newsie said.
"I say, that what my girl says, is what I say." He wrapped his arm around my waist.

He kissed me in front of all the boys. They started hooting and whistling. I couldn't help but laugh. It was embarrassing but I didn't care.
He looked at the boys, "Tell the world!"

They all ran in different directions, towards the sweatshops, the factories, and any large buildings that they saw.

"Good thing they listen to ya." I smiled.
Spot messed with the key that he gave me,"You wanna know why I gave ya this?"
"Sure." I put my arms around his neck.
"When my parents died, I found this in their bedroom. I always wore it because I missed them so much. And from now on, if we're ever apart, you'll remember me."
"Aw, Spot." A tear rolled down his cheek. I pulled him in for a hug. He dug his face into my shoulder.

I've never seen him so sad, so vulnerable.