chapter 2

The boys ran down the stairs, Mr. Kloppman losing count of them all. I was the last out the door because I was helpin' Crutchy down the stairs. I help him everyday. He tells me that his leg's really hurtin' him. I feel terrible and I wish I could just take him to the doctor's but neither of us have the money.

We get out to the street and all the boys are runnin' with smiles on their faces. Some of them sing and whistle or even dance. Crutchy limps, with his arm around my neck. We sing together and laugh.

We pass a cart and there are three nuns singing to us. As they pass out bread and water, they sing about Jesus loving us and how we're gonna be saved.

We make our way to Mr. Weasel's and Jack is first in line.
"Mr. Wee-sel." He mocks his name.

"I told ya a hundred times, the name is Wei-sel

"I told ya a hundred times, the name is Wei-sel... How many?" He says.

Jack inspects the pape.

"The usual." He slams the money onto the wood.

"A hundred papes to the wise guy." He orders.

I help Crutchy up the stairs, "Good afternoon, Mr. Weisel." He smiles.

One of the Delancey brothers, our sworn enemies, kept looking at me up and down. Skittery told me that boys do this; stare at girls like a 5 course meal. He said it's because they don't know what to say when they see someone beautiful.

But let me tell you, it is most absolutely the creepiest thing in the world.

"Do you have something to say?"
I snap at him.

"No doll, why? Is there a problem?" He replies nonchalantly.

"Yeah, there is." I tell him.

Concerned, Jack walks up the stairs and stands right next to me.

"Look at me like that or call me doll one more time, and I'm gonna beat you to a pulp!"

His eyes grow big and holds his hands up in defeat. Note his sarcasm. I held up my fist and quickly moved toward the bars, as if I was going to give him a black eye. Let me tell you, I was about to.

Jack puts his hands on my shoulders and we move back. Crutchy grabs his papes and he puts his arm around me. I help him down the stairs and then he tells me that he doesn't need anymore help.

Once all of the Newsies get their papes, they begin to walk down the streets shouting the headlines.

I went with Jack, David, and Les. He told me that they are now selling partners and are splitting the money 60/40. Jack says that I help him sell papes by just standing there lookin' pretty. I don't think I'm that pretty, but he sure thinks so.

Jack gave me a few papes and told me to sell 'em. I went up to a man and asked him,"Would ya like to buy a pape, sir?" He smiled and nodded. I sold to another guy in a gray suit, and then I went up to a man with white hair and a black suit.

"Would ya like a pape, sir?" I asked.

"Yes." He dropped a coin in my hand and I gave him the pape.
I looked at him and I feel like I've seen him somewhere. I touch his shoulder, "I'm sorry, but ya look awfully familiar. Do I know ya?"

He looks at me, and nods no. Then it clicks: He's the warden! He's the one who had Jack in the refuge! I gasp and run to Jack.

"We gotta go NOW!" I tell him, looking back at the warden.

"What? Why?" I point.

"It's Snyder. He's here." I whisper.
Jack's expression immediately turned serious and we get David and Les. When Snyder sees Jack, he chases after us. This won't be good.