chapter 5

Later that night, I got out of bed. I lit a candle and set it on the wooden shelf. I looked at myself in the mirror. I splashed cold water on my face and decided to change into a dress that I've had forever. I brushed out my curls, but left my hair down.

Why do I care what I look like? Why am I so nervous? He's just a boy!

I checked on Jack, making sure he's asleep. I blew out the candle and carefully opened the window.

As I made my way to the dock in Brooklyn, I saw Spot sittin' on his post alone. For some reason, I smiled. I walked towards 'em and stepped on a creaky board. He perked up and aimed his slingshot at me.

He saw that it was me and he lowered his arms. I stopped in front of his post and looked up at him. He reached his arm down and I grabbed his hand. Spot pulled me up and I sat next to him.

"Hey newsie." I said gently.
"Hey sweet cheeks." He smirked.
I rolled my eyes and took a deep breath.

"So, why did ya invite me here?" I asked him.

"You'll see." He told me.

"Ooh mysterious." I said sarcastically. He laughed at my comment.

"So," he leans onto his post. "While we're waitin', tell me somethin' about ya." He said.

"Like what?" I laugh.

"Anything. You're hopes, your life, problems, friends." He looked at me with those gorgeous eyes.

Was I falling for Spot Conlon?

" Well, I'll go with the last choice. What about my friends?" I ask 'em.

"Who are they? What are they
like?" He asks me.

"Um, there's Jack. He's like a brother to me; he's overprotective, sometimes to the point where I'm annoyed by him; but he's always been there for me. Crutchy; we help each other out, he's like my shoulder to cry on. Racetrack. He's like my best friend. He's always there for me and he always listens to me. I can trust him with anything." I smile just thinking about them.

"What 'bout you?"

He looks at the water, "Don't have any."

"Really? With your star personality, I was sure you had tons of friends." I chuckled.

He looked at me and pointed towards the water, "Look."

I looked and I saw a firefly light up. Then another, and another. They were everywhere! I had never seen so many.

I looked at the starry sky and gasped, "A shooting star. Make a wish."

"I wish I knew the mystery girls' name and that if I kissed her, she wouldn't push me into the river."