Chapter 5

Mingi

When I saw my mom I panicked. Once everyone left besides me and my mom, she slapped me and made my head turn. The slap felt like a powerful, long-lasting sting. My cheek was red and I placed my hand on it.

"Mingi, you keep fucking playing with me! You're lucky I'm being nice and giving you one more chance. If you mess up, you'll be sent to your alcoholic father in Europe! Do you understand!?" She yelled at me, making me flinch.

"Yes ma'am." I said in a low, quiet voice. She slapped me again, startling me. "Speak up!" She shouted in a higher volume. "Yes ma'am." I repeated, but louder than before.

"Now clean this up." She walked off to her bedroom and my tears swelled up. I collapsed on my knees and cried quietly with shame. Why can't I just listen? But why does she hit me for my mistakes? Can't she forgive me?

I wiped my tears and decided to just do what she said. I got up and cleaned up the living room.

About 1 hour later, I went up to my bedroom and closed my door. I took a quick shower and changed in comfortable clothes. While in the shower, I cried some more. Then once I was done, I laid down in my bed and fell asleep for school.

————-
Once it was the next day, I did my usual thing of getting ready then headed out to school. I noticed my friends and sat down with them.

"Did your mom give you a punishment or something?" Seonghwa asked nonchalantly. My mood felt worse at the mention of her, but I still tried to act like my normal self. "No, she just got mad." I said, putting on a fake smile to cover my true emotions. I didn't want to make them worry, I want to make sure they smile. I don't want people to be so worried and concerned just because of me.

Once Seonghwa went back to his phone, I looked out the bus window and dropped my smile. I don't wanna hide it, but my mom will get more mad if she finds out that I told them about what she does to me. I don't want them to worry over me. But I wanna get out of this problem, I really do.

I looked over to Yunho. "Yuyu." I called out. He looked at me, "Yes?"

"Can I move in with you for some time?" I asked, hoping for a yes.

"Yeah, just tell me when you will and for how long."