alone with you

I closed my eyes, finally inhaling a breath of fresh air

I closed my eyes, finally inhaling a breath of fresh air. As my lungs filled, I swear every doubt I ever had, every worry, every problem- gone. It was only for a moment, but that moment felt amazing.

"Initial assessment over?" I heard a voice. I was so wrapped up in the feeling, I hadn't even noticed anyone was around. I knew her voice though, I knew it was Billie.

I hummed in response, opening my eyes to see the pretty garden before me. It'd been decorated beautifully. The view looked like something out of a movie. A little cobble pathway divided the grass, leading to a wooden swinging bench. Flowers covered the perimeter showcasing a variety of vibrant colours. I was personally thankful for them since my life was rather dull.

"You don't talk much," she stated, closing her sketchbook.

I looked down to find she was already looking up at me, her eyes twinkling in the sunlight, "I do talk."

I noticed a smirk appear on her perfectly shaped lips, "wait..." she started, her tone playful, "you're shy?"

I flew straight past nervous and landed on defensive, "I am not shy!"

Billie let out a louder laugh than usual, "Whatever dude."

We fell silent for a moment but I couldn't let her have the last word, "I don't have much to say."

Billie looked up at me again, her previous smirk had faded slightly, "I think you have a lot to say."

Huh?

"You're wrong. And, I do talk," I added bluntly, crossing my arms.

"Not to me."

"You called me stupid," I hoped she'd realise I was messing with her.

I watched as she placed her hand over her eyes to block the sun, "you were stupid! You should watch where you're going."

"Clearly you weren't looking either or we wouldn't have bumped into each other." I smiled at her, a light giggle escaping my lips.

"Whatever blondie," she smirked again, knowing her nickname would wind me up.

"Shut up."

We both fell into a small fit of laughter. It felt good with her- not forced as it does with most people.

"Anyway," I mumbled, my eyes focused on the swinging bench ahead of us, "I'm going to go sit over there."