flashback

"Stupid fucking bitch!" he roared, his voice causing me to flinch a little

I remained silent, my back pressed firmly against my bedroom door. Despite my fingers being shoved right into my ears, I couldn't drown out the sound.

I could hear my mum crying, begging for him to calm down. Her begs didn't matter though, not to him.

I heard some glass shatter, probably the mirror that hung in the hallway.

"Stop it!" she sobbed, "please just stop!"

He let out a menacing laugh, "shut the fuck up!"

I heard a few bangs followed by a piercing scream. That was it. That was my cue.

I rose to my feet, opening my bedroom door as quickly as I could.

But I was too late.

I watched as it all happened in slow motion- her fingertips losing their grip of the wall, the look of complete fear on her face as she fell backwards and the blank, merciless expression on his.

"Mum!" I screamed through my tears, sprinting down the stairs as quickly as I could. As quickly as my tiny legs would allow.

"Elle..."

*billie's pov*

"Elle!" I repeated, holding her shoulders as I stood in front of her. Her expression was blank, her body shook violently. I didn't know what to do so I followed gut instinct. Hold her. Hold her and squeeze her tight.

"It's ok..." I whispered, my arms wrapped around her, "I got you."

Suddenly, she burst into tears. It was like the emotion took over her and she couldn't control it. She just sobbed, her breath hitching every so often as she gasped for air. My heart shattered at the sound of her cries. I hated it. The noise made my stomach turn because there was nothing I could do, nothing I could say.

"It's ok..." I hushed as her breathing began to regulate, she'd been crying into me like that for a good few minutes, "you're ok."

She looked up at me, her eyes bloodshot and her cheeks stained, "what just happened?"

"You tell me Elle..." I slowly loosened my grip and sat myself down next to her.

Elle sighed, using her sleeve to wipe her face, "I think I had a flashback."

I nodded, I'd kind of figured that already, "I think you did."