Chapter 01: Awake at Night

(Image generated with DALL-E)

****

You'd always known Satoru Gojo was a fearsome sorcerer.

But it wasn't until that moment, when your blade was easily tossed aside by his bare bare hands, that it really hit you. He stood before you, that infuriating grin plastered on his face as if the fight were a mere amusement. "I knew you had potential."

The satisfaction in his voice crawled at your pride.

No, you couldn't let him have that satisfaction. Not after all the fucking effort you had put into this fight. Barely able to breathe, you shot back, "Don't talk shit, Gojo. You're not even trying!"

But you had already reached your limits, perhaps even surpassed them.

Each ragged breath seared your lungs, your legs screaming in protest. Still, you forced yourself upright, refusing to slump in defeat in front of him. Gojo tilted his head, those impossibly blue eyes gleaming behind his sunglasses.

"I don't want to hurt you—yet."

How can anyone be so arrogant.

A traitorous part of you wanted to lunge—to wrap your fingers around his infuriatingly handsome neck and wipe that smirk right off his face. The image lingered, vivid and violent, before you collapsed to the ground.

Yuji, Megumi and Nobara rushed over to you from the sidelines. "Are you okay?"

You gathered what strength you had left and straightened up, trying to hide your exhaustion, though your trembling form betrayed you. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Gojo extended a hand, that damned smile unwavering. You hesitated. Eventually, it was Megumi who reached out to you, and you took his hand without a second thought. As you did, Gojo's eyebrow raised slightly.

It was only a few days ago that your world collided with this white-haired, self-satisfied man. Since then, everything had changed. Gojo had invited you to join the Tokyo Jujutsu High—a world you'd wanted to avoid at all costs. But here you were.

Somehow you wondered if you should have better turned him down.

"It's pretty impressive how you've picked all this up on your own," Megumi's said, meaning to encourage you. Still, you couldn't help feeling like a fool.

"I'll do my best to catch up with you as soon as possible."

"I'm sure you will," Gojo said, his tone surprisingly gentle. Your gazes locked again, and for a moment, it felt as though the entire world held its breath. There was an unspoken connection—an invisible force drawing you closer to him. But you fought to resist its allure, trying to convince yourself that it was merely your imagination.

Gojo finally broke the spell and turned away. "Tomorrow, 6 a.m.—cardio training!" There was a hint of a joke in his voice, though it sounded more like an order. Groans and protests filled the air. "Latecomers do an extra lap!" he declared before he disappeared from sight.