Chapter 06: Provocation

The rumors about your somewhat different relationship with Satoru continued to circulate, but as time went on, they slowly lost relevance. Eventually, the unsettling side-eyes from other students stopped. And soon nobody noticed you anyhow. It seemed that the ever-evolving world of jujutsu sorcerers always had new scandals to focus on.

The weeks passed. But Satoru was still gone. He was suspended for nearly killing a student. But you didn't find it so bad, it was a welcome relief.

It allowed you to focus on your training.

No, focus is not the right word—drowning yourself in training—torturing yourself with training.

But it certainly paid off.

****

One down. Then another. And another.

It was combat day again. Over the past few months, you had become the new center of attention on these days. Unbeaten since the day Jack had attacked you, and determined to keep it that way. Your progress had been astonishing, surprising even yourself with what your anger had helped you to achieve. Thanks to Satoru.

"She's mowing them down!" Yuji chuckled from the sidelines.

"I bet she's imagining each one of them as Gojo—exactly what I'd do if I were her." Nobara said with a smirk on her lips.

Your muscles start to protest. They always do. But you didn't care. They were at your command.

"Next," you called out, fixing your gaze on a waiting student on the sidelines. Your heart pounded with anticipation.

The students wasted no time and lunged at you. He tried to trip you with a quick, low sweep. You leaped back just in time, narrowly avoiding his attack. You struck out, aiming for his torso. He parried each of your blows. He was strong in his defense. They all were. But you just had to be faster.

A fierce combo attack followed, punches and kicks flying in rapid succession. The first strikes blocked, but you quickened the pace. Then they landed, with a lethal impact you struggled to temper.

Enough of this play.

With a final spinning hook kick to the jaw, he staggered and fell. The crowd held its breath, then erupted in cheers.

You were victorious, but utterly drained.

You fought for each breath, vision blurring at the edges. Sweat ran down your temple. Your body ached, every muscles screaming in agony. The crowd's cheers faded into a distant hum. You had pushed beyond your breaking point. Yet, you refused to admit that you were at your limit.

"Guess your classmates aren't providing enough of a challenge, huh?"

This can't be real.

You turned to meet his gaze—the gaze of Satoru Gojo, who approached you with a nonchalance that made you forget any fatigue you had felt just seconds ago. He looked taller, older, more muscular than you remembered.

"What's his deal?" Nobara asked Megumi quietly, knowing full well that the rumors about your relationship with Satoru were still alive. Megumi tensed. But he waited.

"Need another opponent?" Satoru's voice cut through the tension.His eyes, peering over the top of his sunglasses, bore into yours, boldly challenging you.

He really had the audacity to disappear for months and then return to challenge you.

Your fists clench in anger.

So be it then.

You turned, tightening the bands around your wrists. Satoru closed the distance, standing before you. Tension gripped the air.