Chapter 15: Concern and Control

The following morning, under a hazy sky, you stood in the center of the training ground with Megumi. Both of you poised and ready. Satoru's presence on the sidelines was like a physical pressure. His hawk-like gaze tracking every move you made. It wasn't protective—it was intrusive, and it made your skin crawl with unease.

"Focus on your technique, not on Satoru," Megumi reminded you.

Easier said than done. You tried again, aiming to harness the curse before you, Megumi's divine dog pinning it in place. But Satoru's scrutinizing eyes drew yours repeatedly—a silent judgment behind the sheen of his glasses.

"Fuck, I just can't do it."

"Don't force it," Megumi stood behind you.

Another deep breath, another try, another failure. You faltered, collapsing to your knees with a curse. Megumi crouched beside you, his voice meant only for you. "You can ask him to leave."

You shot a glare at Satoru. No, you cannot.

Lately, Satoru had been on edge. His fear had become overwhelming. Seeing specters in every shadow; threats in every unfamiliar face. His obsessive need to protect you has imprisoned you—stifling your every breath.

Megumi training you only exacerbated the situation.

Megumi stood up, catching your gaze, his patience wearing thin. "Gojo, back off. You're suffocating her."

Satoru's stance turned rigid, his tone ice-cold. "She's not ready."

"She is ready. I'm training her, you had your chance, now step away."

The tension between them crackled, a prelude to a clash that had been brewing beneath the surface for too long.

"I know her limits better than you," Satoru countered, stepping forward with a challenge in his posture.

"And I know how to train her without making her cry," Megumi shot back.

The argument escalated, their voices rising, and before you could intervene, Satoru's irritation boiled over into action. He stepped onto the training field, his cursed energy flaring in challenge. "Say that again, kid."

"You're scared someone else can protect her better than you ever could," Megumi challenged, energy crackling around him. "—and that maybe she finally sees that too." Megumi's stance was ready, poised for a fight that had nothing to do with training anymore.

These men really knew no limits. But you were exhausted.

"Satoru, please," your voice barely rose above a whisper, heavy with exhaustion. The weariness wasn't just from the day's training—it seeped from deep within, a fatigue that had been building, layer upon layer, until you felt smothered beneath it.

The intensity in their eyes faded as they turned to you. Satoru's gaze softened, a flicker of regret passing through. Without a word, he turned and walked away, his departure silent but screaming in its finality. You couldn't bring yourself to watch him go. The strength to face him simply gone.

A long, shuddering breath escaped your lips as if with Satoru's exit, the air around you became easier to draw in. Megumi approached, offered his hand to help you up.

"Since when has he been like this?"

"Since Shinjuku," You said, rising to your feet with Megumi's help. "He's always there, always watching. I can feel his eyes on me even when he's out of sight."

"He's scared", he admits, "He loves you and he's scared".

The words were meant to comfort, but they landed like stones in your heart. "I know. But love shouldn't feel like this."