Chapter 10: Weak Point

A faint, muffled hum of distant conversations gradually seeped into your consciousness, gently pulling you out of the abyss of unconsciousness. Your body felt weightless, as if floating in a sea of nothingness, yet a strange warmth enveloped you, tender and comforting. The sweet scent of antiseptic lingered in the air, gently punctuating the realization that you were not where you had been.

The memory of the battle lingered like an undefined shadow in the periphery of your memory. Satoru's face, marked with desperate pleas, flickered hazily in the dark corners of your mind. Your eyes flickered open, hesitantly greeting the dim, sterile light of what you recognized as a hospital room. The soft rustle of cloth, the hushed whispers of conversation slowly became more discernible, though your limbs still felt disconnected, unresponsive to your silent commands to move.

"—you mean, they lured you into a trap?—"

Voices, low and measured, paused for a moment as you tried to turn toward them, a soft moan involuntarily escaping your lips as a dull pain coursed through your body.

You were not alone.

The conversation stopped instantly, replaced by hurried footsteps approaching your bedside. As your eyes struggled to adjust, gradually bringing the world into focus, a familiar figure came into view, the lines of his face tense. Satoru, his eyes now bearing into yours, whispered hoarsely, "You're awake."

You tried to respond, but your voice was a mere rasp. His hand, warm and steady, gently cradled yours, fingers intertwined with a tenderness that seemed so at odds with the chaotic memories of battle that still echoed through your mind.

Satoru's eyes, normally as blue as the sky, clouded as he gazed upon your weakened form. His thumb gently traced circles on your hand, his touch a wordless promise, an unspoken vow amidst the shattered remnants of what had happened. Your eyes fluttered open, briefly disoriented by the soft glow of the room. His face, taut with silent fear, swam into view above you. The closeness was both comforting and terrifyingly vulnerable. Satoru sat on the edge of your bed, while Yuji, Nobara and Megumi closed in on you, surrounding you with a warmth that contrasted sharply with the coldness of the room.

His eyes flicked down, meeting yours, and the relief that washed over his features was palpable. "Hey, love," he whispered.

A rasp of confusion cleared your throat. "What—happened?"

The memories flickered, disconnected and wild, in the back of your mind. Cursed energy, fear—pain. You remembered Satoru, his eyes burning with something violent and desperate.

"You unleashed a considerable amount of cursed energy—," Satoru began cautiously, eyes locked with yours, searching, "—you pushed yourself too far and lost conciseness."

Nobara approached, gently squeezing your shoulder. "Don't scare us like that again, okay?"

Your gaze dropped to your hands, the bandages wrapped around your limbs evidence of his words. A heavy silence hung over the room. When your eyes lifted, they were all watching you, expressions a blend of relief and concern. You attempted to sit up, wincing as pain flared through your body. Satoru gently pressed you back down, a silent plea in his eyes, "Easy, love."

Stop calling me love, Satoru.

"What happened to the others?"

A slight smile touched his lips, as he began, "They're all safe, thanks to you. Local authorities have taken charge of the situation."

Relief washed over you. Then, memories—hauntingly vivid—flickered through your mind, the image of Satoru, wreathing in the chaotic surge of your cursed energy. Your eyes scanned him, seeking signs of injury, but finding none. As if tuning into your thoughts, he casually remarked, "Reverse Cursed Technique, remember?"