Chapter 05: Combat and Consequences

(Image generated with DALL-E)

****

The next morning, you awoke in your teacher's bedroom. The soft light of dawn filtered through the curtains, casting a warm golden hue over the room. For a fleeting moment, you felt a sense of dread as you realized that you were alone. Satoru had left, leaving only the faintest traces of his cologne that seemed to hang in the air.

But anger quickly replaced all traces of fear. How dare this man leave you like this—after this night. Your gaze shifted to his side of the bed, and there you spotted a note. "Meet me at school," it read.

Wow. Thanks for nothing, Satoru.

With a tired sigh, you headed back to Jujutsu High, leaving the apartment as disheveled as the night before. Back at school, you wandered the empty corridors until you reached the training grounds. The curious looks of your friends greeted you. Their eyes lingered on your clothes, unchanged from the night before.

"Hey, where did you disappear to last night? We were getting worried!" Yuji said, a playful grin lighting up his face.

"Yeah, we thought maybe curses had kidnapped you or something!" Nobara chimed in playfully.

You smiled, appreciating their not-so-serious concern. "Sorry guys. I just needed some much-needed rest."

"Is everything all right? You seem a bit out of it," Nobara added.

"I'm fine, really," you reassured her. "I'm just dealing with some severe fatigue."

Yuji and Nobara seemed satisfied with your vague explanation. Megumi, however, continued to watch you closely. In response, you gave him a subtle nod that escaped the others. But you could see a whole lot of unasked questions in his eyes.

"By the way, have you seen Gojo?" you asked, trying to sound casual even though your heart quickened at the mere mention of his name. Your friends exchanged glances before Megumi spoke. "He's with the higher-ups."

"What?" 

Your heart skipped a beat. 

Satoru being with the higher-ups could only mean trouble.

****

In the hallway, hidden around a corner, you waited anxiously for the seemingly eternal meeting to end. Your stomach tightened in a knot as you tried to catch even the faintest echo of what was happening in that room, but the soundproof walls kept their secrets. As the door finally swung open your heart quickened.

And there he was—Satoru Gojo, your silver-haired teacher and—lover? His sharp eyes found you immediately, but he waited until the high-ranking sorcerers had dispersed. Then he approached you, his fingers confidently encircling your wrist. He led you away from the prying eyes.