Chapter 21: Bad Fortune

"Is everything okay between you and Fushiguro?" Nobara's question cut through the silence.

"Everything's great," you muttered.

"Did he try to kiss you or something?" Maki asked, half-joking yet curious.

"No."

Nobara and Maki walked alongside you, exchanging glances.

The crisp, cool air brushed against your cheeks as you and the others made your way to the local shrine for the first visit of the new year. As you approached, the scent of incense grew stronger, blending with the smell of street food from nearby vendors. However, despite the festivity, a certain uneasiness hung in the air—the tension between you and Megumi hard to miss.

"You guys totally missed out on the fireworks," Yuji interjected.

"Yeah, such a shame," Nobara replied. "We were just too tired."

"You missed them too, Yuji," you pointed out, as if he had forgotten that he had spent the whole night sleeping on the table.

"Yeah, I did," Yuji admitted, scratching his head. "Were they good? Did you guys see them?"

"No."

Yuji looked back at Megumi, who was walking a few steps behind. "What about you, Fushiguro? Did you catch the fireworks?" Megumi met Yuji's question with a silent, icy stare, confirming that something was definitely off.

"What's going on with you two?" Yuji asked, his eyes flicking between you and Megumi.

As you approached the shrine, the crowd thickened. Brightly colored lanterns hung from the trees, and laughter filled the air. Families in colorful kimonos, young couples, and groups of friends gathered to celebrate the first day of the new year.

"Let's draw our fortunes," Nobara suggested, trying to break the uneasiness.

Each of you took turns shaking the box and drawing a stick with a number that corresponded to your fortune at a nearby stall.

Yuji's face lit up as he read his fortune. "Great blessing! This year's gonna be awesome!"

Nobara rolled her eyes. "Small blessing," she read aloud. "Could be worse."

Maki, after reading her fortune, simply shrugged, not giving away whether it was good or bad.

When it was your turn, you shook the box and drew a stick. The crisp paper unfolded in your hands, revealing the characters for "Bad Fortune."

You've got to be kidding me, right?

Nobara peered over your shoulder. "Well, look at it this way, as if things could get any worse for you."

"A little bad luck is nothing for you!" Yuji chimed in.

Your lips twitched into a half-smile. "You guys are really something."

Yuta stepped forward to draw his omikuji next, pulling a slender stick from the box.

"Well, Yuta? What does it say?" Yuji asked eagerly, trying to peek over his shoulder.

Yuta turned the paper so everyone could see. "Good Fortune."

Nobara clapped her hands together. "See! That balances it out. Good and bad fortune in the group. We're set!"

Megumi was last. He shook the box and drew his fortune. His expression remained unreadable as he read the slip of paper. He didn't share what it said. You hoped it was positive.

Nobara then led the group towards the main hall of the shrine, where people gathered to offer prayers for the new year. But Yuta held you back. His hand around your wrist, his grip firm but not forceful. "Can we talk for a moment?"