Chapter 6

The house was quaint. It was a simple blue color with a concrete front porch, the white railing framing it and giving it the perfect American dream look. He parked next to a small white SUV in the driveway, throwing the truck in park. I stared at the house, feeling frozen in my seat until the door opened. "C'mon, let's get you inside." He said, holding out his hand for me. I gently slipped my hand in his, getting out of the truck as he closed the door. His hand rested on my lower back as he guided me to the door. He swung the door open, guiding me inside before closing and locking it.

The lock made me nervous but then he smiled at me and I felt better. He walked into the living room and I slowly followed. "Babe?" He yelled out as I looked around the house, it looked bare, almost as if he was never here. "Oh hey." A soft voice said, making me look towards the kitchen. "Kelly, you remember Katie." Jake said, motioning over to me. "Yeah, I do." She gave me a small smile as she walked over to Jake. "Can I talk to you?" She asked him and he nodded. "Feel free to sit on the couch and relax." He said and I nodded as they went into the kitchen. I took notice of the sectional and the large flat screen mounted above the fireplace. I opted to sit on the edge of the couch, setting my purse next to me as I crossed my legs, resting my hands on my knees.

My legs bounced wildly as I picked at my nails. I knew the conversation was about me. I'd be stupid to think otherwise. I have a feeling Kelly isn't my biggest fan, and I wouldn't blame her. She saw me come out of a room with her boyfriend and it looked bad. I don't know what their conversation was after that, but I'm sure it was a tense one. I wasn't sure how long I was sitting there but a hand on my shoulder scared me, making me jump off the couch. "Just me." Kelly said as I turned to her. "Sorry. It's a reaction." She gave me a small smile. "Jake said you're in a bit of trouble." I nodded. "Well he went to shower and change. I'm cooking dinner if you want to join me." I nodded, following her. "Oh, here." She gently took my bag, hanging it on a hook in the foyer next to another bag. "That's where I hang mine. No point in carrying it all over the house." I nodded and followed her into the kitchen. "I hope you like Italian. I'm making tuscan chicken pasta." I nodded, sitting at the island. "I love it."

I watched as she cooked and felt weird. Any time Mom cooked, I was required to help. "Do you need any help?" She looked back at me. "You cook?" I nodded. "I've spent a lot of time in the kitchen." She nodded. "Cut the tomato?" I nodded, grabbing a cutting board from the counter and a knife from the knife block. We quietly got dinner together and I felt awkward. Jake invited me to live with him and now I'm standing in the kitchen with his girlfriend who I can't tell if she likes me or not. I finished the tomato and handed it to her before going to the sink to wash the knife. "Hey baby." Jake's voice was deep. I turned to see him with his arms wrapped around Kelly's waist. I turned back around, a blush creeping up my cheeks. I felt like I intruded on a moment and I didn't want them to know I saw that.

"You okay?" Jake asked, coming to stand next to me. "Yeah." He raised a brow at me. "You sure?" I nodded. "Positive." After that I just stood in the corner of the counters, staying out of the way. "Can I get in the cabinet behind you?" Kelly asked and I rushed out of the way. "I'm so sorry! Next time just shove me out of the way." She gave me a small smile. "I wouldn't do that. Mind help me set the table?" I nodded and she handed me the plates as she got the silverware. I set the plates down, mine a little farther down. "Why'd you set that one there?" I wanted to shrink in on myself. "I kind of feel like I'm intruding. Figured I'd give you two some space." She smiled at me, sliding it closer to the end of the table. "You're not intruding. You were invited." She said before disappearing into the kitchen. I stared at the table, seeing one at the head and one on either side. It reminded me of the way my mother sets the table, it felt right. "Let's eat." Jake said, carrying in the bowl of pasta while Kelly had the basket of bread. Jake set the food down and turned to me. "What do you want to drink?" He asked. "Uh, water." He turned but I stopped him. "I can get it." He turned back to me, large hands landing on my shoulders, making me wince. "Sorry." He said, easing his grip.