Chapter 15

We rode to Bob's house in silence. I looked out the window, tears streaming down my cheeks. He had to know what he said hurt, he had to. The way he kissed me last night, there was something there, I know it. Unless I was the only one that felt it. That thought alone made more tears stream down my cheeks. I managed to stop the tears a few minutes before we got to Bob's place, I just hoped my cheeks weren't red and splotchy. As we pulled in the driveway Bob stepped outside, smiling at us. I slid out before Jake even cut the truck off and walked up to Bob. I was a little surprised when he opened his arms for a hug but didn't hesitate to step into them. He hugged me tightly as I squeezed him in return. "You okay?" He whispered and I pulled back, giving him a smile. "Yeah, I'm fine." He eyed me for a second before turning to Jake. "Finally willing to part with it are you?" Jake asked, looking at Bob with a smirk. "Yeah. At least it'll be in good hands." I furrowed my brows in confusion as Bob handed me some keys. "It was built in '01 and I've been the only person to own it." He said pointing to an older truck that Jake was now leaning on. "Like it?" Jake asked and my brows shot up.

"Oh no! No, I can't accept this." I said as I handed the keys back to Bob. "Too bad," Jake said as he walked over taking the keys himself. "It's already paid for." My jaw dropped and I gaped at him as he opened the drivers side door and climbed in. He started it up and the truck roared to life and he grinned. "It sounds great." Jake said and slid out. "Well, go on. It's yours." I stared at him for a moment, challenging him but he had that stupid smug grin on his face and that just pissed me off even more. I snatched the keys from him, huffing before I climbed in. I sat down and looked to my right, scoffing. "If you're such a genius, why did you buy a straight shift?" I asked and he raised a brow. "Do you not know how to drive a straight shift?" He asked. "My parents never taught me how to think for myself. What makes you think they taught me to drive a straight shift?" I snapped and he reeled back, looking at me confused. I know when we had our blow up when he came home, we talked about me getting angry with him but I think I have a legitimate reason.

"Well I can teach you." Bob said and I sighed. "School starts in two weeks." He nodded. "You'll learn by then." He responded. "Let's take her for a drive." Jake shut my door and he and Bob came around and slid across the bench seat from the passenger side. "I don't know if this is gonna work." I said and Jake chuckled. "I'll help you. Now, the clutch is on the far left. I suggest only using your left foot on it and using your right between the gas and the brake." I situated my feet as he said. "Okay, press the clutch and the brake." I did and he took my hand, the warmth of it engulfing me. He set it on the gear shift, wrapping his around mine. "The reverse is gonna be in the bottom right. So, we gotta come out of neutral and move down." He did and slid the gear over to the right. "There. This is reverse. So when you release the parking brake and back up, let off the break and slowly come off the clutch. Not too fast, you're not going anywhere fast." I nodded and brought my foot off the break, looking in all the mirrors before releasing the clutch. I backed out and hit the break and clutch. "Now into first." I looked at the top of the gear shift and shifted myself, causing Jake to smile at me. "Now come off the clutch." I did and the truck died. "What'd I do?" I panicked, worried I'd already messed it up. "I should've told you to not come off the clutch so fast. Let's try again." After a while I was able to make it down the road and back with little issue.

We got out and I sighed. "I just don't know how I'm gonna learn in time for school." I said and Bob chuckled, tossing his arm over my shoulder. "Don't worry. I'll make sure you know." Bob used to be so shy around me, but I came to find that once you got to know him he was as friendly as anyone else, funny too. "I have to buy scrubs and books for school by next Tuesday. If you have time then maybe you can teach me while we go do that?" I asked and he nodded. "Sounds like a plan. I'm free Monday." I smiled at him. "Great." At my words Jake walked over, handing me his keys. "You take my truck and I'll take yours?" He asked and I nodded. "YOu guys wanna go get dinner?" Bob asked and we shook our heads. "No, Katie said she was cooking tonight." Jake motioned to me and I nodded. "Well maybe another night then." Bob said and I was quick to agree. "Sure, maybe we can go on Tuesday after we get my stuff." I said and he nodded. "Sounds like a plan." Jake looked between us but I just pulled Bob in one final hug before heading to Jake's truck. "See you at home." I said, shutting the door as I adjusted the seat. I didn't want to be near him right now. I needed distance. I backed out of Bob's driveway and started for the house. I had tears streaming down my face again, and I was getting angry with myself.