𝟎𝟎𝟏

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏
𝐉𝐚𝐧𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟏𝟗𝟏𝟗

The wind was aggressively blowing through Madeline's hair as she rode her black horse through the field. Something she loved doing the most, riding her horse. Canon.

It made her feel safe when she got to be away from the camp.

As she approached the camp once more, she noticed the three men stood with Johnny Dogs and three of the Lee boys, a white horse that they'd won at the fair tied to one of the wagons.

One of the boys stood with the Lee brothers being her own brother. Her younger brother.

She brought her own horse to a halt and watched closely. They wore peaky caps and stood tall.

Madeline carefully jumped off of Canon and held him by the reigns, walking him toward where Johnny and the other men were standing.

She frowned when both Johnny and the taller man flipped coins up in the air.

"What's going on here," she asked, taking her gloves off and shoving them into her pockets. The other to men who were wearing the caps looked over to her.

The coins landed in the grass and Johnny kneeled down as well as the man. As they stood, he placed car keys into Johnny's hands.

"Tommy, you bloody idiot!" The other shouted.

"Shut up Arthur, I won." He cut him off. "I promised Johnny i'd let him have a spin of the car if he lost." Johnny looked over to Madeline and laughed, "wonderful car isn't it?" he asked, practically running over to it.

The three Lee boys, including her brother, stood off to the side began laughing quietly.

"Who're you?" She asked, looking who she assumed was Arthur, up and down. "Tommy, Tommy Shelby. And these are my brothers. John an Arthur," he nodded toward them.

"And why are you here?" Her eyes lingered on John for a few moments, certain she'd seen him before. She just didn't know from where.

Arthur nudged John's shoulder. "She likes questions don't she," he hummed, his Birmingham accent thick. Tommy glared at the two. "I had a bet with Johnny you see, and I won. Which means I get that horse over there,"

Madeline nodded. "They've probably cursed it," she shrugged, dead serious. "You think i'm joking, Mr Shelby."

Tommy let out a breathy laugh, shoving his hands into his pockets. Then he noticed the laughs coming from the Lee boys behind her and frowned.

"Are you Lee boys laughing at my brother?" He asked, his face dropping. "Are ya?" He walked forward. "Eh, i asked you a question."

"Tommy, come on," Johnny marched over. "Come on its just a crack, get your family out of 'ere and enjoy yourselves. Before you start a war, eh."

He then turned to the Lee boys. "Go on. Go, they're good people. Their grandad was a King," he spoke in Romani. "Yeah but his mother was a diddicoy whore," Jackson, tormented.

"For fucks sake," Madeline whispered, taking a step back and reaching into the small bag that hung from the saddle of her horse.