𝟎𝟎𝟓

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

John squinted as he opened his eyes, the light that seeped through the gap in the curtains almost blinding him. He looked down at Madeline who slept quietly beside him, his arm draped over her shoulder.

"Fucking hell—" He muttered, running a hand over his face. It was only
moments before the door swung open, Johns daughter Katie appearing with a large smile on her face. "Morning dad!" She greeted.

"Yeah, morning." John grumbled, hushing her slightly as she hovered at the door. "I'm hungry." Katie complained, holding onto the door handle and swinging the door back and forth.

"Where's Maria?" John asked, referring to the girls nanny. Katie shrugged and stood on her tip toes to glance at Madeline. "Right, Katie— I love you but please go and find Maria. She will get you some breakfast, yeah?" He said quietly, trying not to wake Madeline.

Katie rolled her eyes and slammed the door causing John to wince and let out a breath. And obviously, Madeline began to wake.

"Sorry about that," he apologised awkwardly, finally sitting up once she rolled onto her side to face him. All she did was hum in response, too tired to open her eyes. "Er— how did you sleep?"

"Good," she said quietly, rolling onto her back and finally opening her eyes. "What about you?"

"Yeah..good." John agreed, not able to get rid of the awkwardness that had overcome him. Madeline on the other hand was trying to stop herself from laughing. But it didn't work.

A small laugh fell from her mouth and John frowned, a light smile on his lips. "Something funny?" He leaned his elbow onto the pillow beside her and rested his cheek on his hand. Maddie looked up at him and shook her head, flashing him a smile.

John smirked and pushed her hair away from her face. "Madeline." He warned.

She looked away to prevent laughing again and sighed. "It's just how awkward you are, it's funny." She said, finally gaining her normal persona back.

"The fuck you mean, eh?" John asked, getting out of the bed and pulling a fresh shirt over his head. "I mean that we were married yesterday. Of course neither of us did it willingly but we heard a lot about you Shelby men," she smirked, "and i would've thought you'd be more— how can i say this? Confident."

"Confident?" John repeated, raising his eyebrows.

Maddie nodded. "And what do you mean by confident?" John questioned as he moved a piece of her hair from her face.

"I mean that there's some sort of stereotype around you Shelby's— i heard you've got quite the charm when it comes to women." Madeline said, unable to look away from him.

John's lips parted and a breathy chuckle left his mouth. "Ya saying i don't av a charm about me? Is that what you're saying?"

A loud hum could be heard from the girl. Her words were clearly meant for tormenting him. And it was working. It was clear she was confident, too confident for John's liking.

"Take that how you please, Shelby." Madeline sat up. John looked at her in awe when she threw her leg over him to climb off the bed. His hands hovered at her sides, disappointment filling him when she moved and actually got up from the bed.