𝟎𝟎𝟔

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔

"Madeline, love, get them books and put them in Johns office would you?" Polly asked as she rushed around the busy den. Maddie took the stack of books and carried them into the dimly lit office, placing them on the desk.

"What are they?" John asked, not looking up from what he was doing. Maddie took a deep breath and shrugged. "Polly said to bring them in."

"You can go back to the house." He offered. "We'll be closing up the shop soon— Katie will probably like to see you before she goes to bed." He said, finally looking up. Madeline gave him a nod and spun on her heels and grabbing her coat on the way out.

"And where are you off too?" Polly asked when Maddie walked past her.

She stopped awkwardly and swallowed. "John said i could go home— said you'd be closing up soon. He wants me to check on Katie." Madeline said, trying to remain calm despite the intimidation that poured off Polly.

"He's got a bloody nanny for christ sake." She scoffed, clamming a book closed and putting down her cigarette. "Go on then, don't just stand there. Go home."

Madeline nodded quickly and practically ran out the house, Polly's tone making her feel like she'd done something wrong.

"For christ's sake, Pol. Take it easy on her, yeah?" John shouted from the office. Polly rolled her eyes and pulled back the curtain to watch the girl.

She couldn't have gotten to the house any quicker than she did.

"Mr Shelby is that you?" Maria called out from the living room.

Madeline made an appearance in the room and gave her a friendly smile, "it's me— how's Katie?" She asked, looking toward the girl that was sitting on the floor and playing with an old doll.

Maria also looked at Katie. "She's hungry. I'm sorry Mrs Shelby— i've been unable to make her food. Katie has just had me so occupied with keeping her calm. She's been in a bad mood you see-"

Madeline shook her head to stop Maria from talking. "Don't worry, i'll sort something." There was a visible relaxation in Maria from Madeline's words.

"Did you hear that, Katie? Mrs Shelby is going to make you some dinner." Maria whispered to Katie, joining her on the floor. Madeline tried her best to prepare a meal that would somewhat appeal to the child.

"Do you know when dads going to be home?" Katie asked, accepting the plate from Madeline. She took a deep breath. "Hopefully soon."

"Do you like my dad?" Katie asked, clearly oblivious to what type of question she was asking. Madeline dismissed Maria with a nod before sitting on the couch opposite Katie. "Of course i like him. He's a nice man."

"No, silly." Katie shook her head, "do you like him."

"Well.." The girl had made Maddie think for a moment. "I'm sure— no i'm certain he's a nice person. He's different from your uncles. I can see it in his eyes."

"He likes you. I know he does."

"And how do you know that?" She was now intrigued. Katie had a large grin on her face. "Well, with the last one— Lizzie i think she was called. She spent a lot of time with dad but then she stopped coming round. I heard dad crying to uncle Tommy about it all. He's not cried about you— he must like ya. Because i've heard him saying good things to Tommy. He wasn't crying this time."