𝟎𝟎𝟗

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗

Madeline stood behind John as he buttoned up his dress shirt. She placed her hands on the backs of his shoulders and looked at him through the mirror. A car honked outside and John groaned.

"I'm coming!" He shouted. Madeline refrained from laughing and moved around him, starting to fold over his shirt collar. "I don't think this is a good idea, John. I can't imagine Tommy having anything good in mind when he says you're going to leave your message." She said.

John grabbed his suit jacket and quickly shoved his arms into it. "We'll be fine. We're going for a few drinks then i'll be home." John assured her, holding her face. "What's the worst that could happen?"

Madeline didn't want to think of what the worst that could happen was. "I suppose you're right."

The car honked again and John rolled his eyes. "Right i'm going to have to go. Have a good day and don't listen to Polly if she tried biting your head off about the work today— it's new market today so she'll be off her head." John said jokingly. He kissed her lips quickly and walked out the room, accidentally slamming the front door behind him.

She hovered at the window and pulled back the curtain. "She wouldn't let go of my fucking leg." John huffed, fixing his jacket.

"I bet that's not all she wouldn't let go of." Arthur joked. John glared at him. "You know she's against this, Tom." John spoke. "She's got opinions."

"Nothing wrong with opinions, John." Tommy said, starting up the car.

"Get in the fucking car." Arthur snapped. "Shut up." John hissed, shoving past Arthur to climb into the car.

"Right! The Peaky Blinders are going on fucking holiday!" Arthur shouted as they began driving off. "Sit down you mad bastard." John chuckled, pulling Arthur down by his coat.

Madeline shook her head at their behaviour and got her things together to go over to the wash house. She didn't particularly like going there but she had no other choice.

As Madeline stood patiently to do what she needed to do, she overheard the name Shelby. So of course, she had to eavesdrop.

"We had a Shelby woman at the table, in search of her daughter. Poor woman had to find out her daughter had died." The woman whispered — loud enough for Madeline to hear.

Maddie frowned and discreetly looked at who was talking. The moment she set eyes on her she let out a breath of annoyance. Madeline knew all about that woman and her tricks.

-

"You're against this the same as me, aren't you?" Madeline asked once she sat down in the empty den. Polly avoided her eyes. "Look out for anyone putting big money on Divine Star at three thirty in new market. She's one of ours. Anything over a pound." Polly spoke lowly. "Tell me."

Maddie stood and walked to Polly. "Polly, I don't wish to pry into your business but you should know something. That woman is a trickster."

"What woman?" Polly still avoided her eyes.

"Her sister was in the wash house early. Boasting that there'd been a Shelby at the table." She said. Realisation hit Polly and she looked up. "What woman?"

"Gypsy's talk to each other." Madeline continued.

"What woman?" Polly asked again, this time more stern.

"You went to see Mrs Price in the patch last night. I'm sorry—" Madeline couldn't say anymore because Polly had shot up and pushed her up against the wall aggressively. Madeline's eyes were wide.