𝟎𝟎𝟖

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

Madeline held Katie's hand tightly as they watched Tommy step forward to begin speaking.

"I promised my friend Freddie Thorne, that i'd say a few words over his grave if her were to die before me," he began. "I made this promise, before he became me brother in law." he nodded, "when we were in France, fighting for the king."

"Amen." Arthur said.

Maddie glanced at Ada who had a solemn look on her face — Karl in her arms.

"And in the end, it wasn't war that took Freddie, pestilence took him. But Freddie passed on his soul and his spirit to a new generation," Tommy said, "before he was cruelly taken."

Once he stopped talking, people began placing down flowers and muttering their last goodbye's — Ada and Tommy walking off to the side.

"It's a shame isn't it," Madeline looked up at John. He hummed and looked out into the field. "He'd just become a father and then lost his life. God— Ada must be devastated." Maddie said sympathetically.

"She'll be alright." John said.

He looked over his shoulder at the car that was approaching and he raised an eyebrow. "Who the fuck is rocking up to a funeral that they're not invited to?" John asked, walking away from the pair to see who it was.

"Who is it?" Katie asked. Madeline squinted to try and see who was inside the car but it was no use. "I'm not sure, Katie." She said quietly.

John had his hand resting on the top of the car, nodding along before shaking his head and walking off to Arthur. "Someone's blown up the pub." He said.

Arthur looked at him with a somewhat angry look in his eye. "You fucking what? My pub— someone's blown up my fucking Garrison?" He hissed. John was quick to smack his arm. "No swearing around the kids." John scolded.

Arthur put his arms up in defence and went to find Polly and Tommy.

"Right, come on you two." John said, placing a hand on Madeline's back and leading them to one of the cars.

"What's happened?" Madeline asked. John opened the door for them and helped Katie climb inside. "There's been some trouble back home." Was all he said.

She sighed and got inside the car.

-

Finn hovered over Madeline's shoulder, pointing down at the numbers she needed to add up. "Thank you, Finn." She smiled softly.

"Finn— Finn get in here, hold the phone. Come here." John instructed.

Finn left Madeline's side and went into Johns office quickly. John slowly left the office and walk round to Maddie's desk. "You keeping up?" He asked, his hands on the desk as he leaned down to kiss her cheek. She smiled and nodded. "Finn's given me the easy book." She told him.

"Well that's alright then, ain't it?" John said, squeezing her shoulder before walking to Polly. "Polly!" He called out. "Did he say who did it?"

"He's gone to the Black Lion." Polly said plainly, carrying a pile of books to the table.

"On his own?" John questioned. Polly moved past him and walked away. "Tommy does everything on his own." She reminded him.