𝟎𝟎𝟐

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

Tommy walked with his hands in his pockets, surprised at the amount of people inside the betting den.

"It's a good day," Polly said, walking past with books in her hand. "Where's John?" Tommy asked. "Johns in the Garrison, he says he wants a meeting about a family matter." She sighed, leaning against the table.

"After he said his piece he'll come back and take his place with Scudboat." she nodded. "Scudboat, John will be here in ten minutes." Polly told the older man.

"All right." Scudboat grunted, scribbling down on a piece of paper.

"Five—" Tommy corrected and pointed a finger at him.

John sat nervously in the snug of the Garrison, Arthur in the corner of the room. He tapped his foot on the floor as Tommy and Polly entered.

"All right John, there's only one man guarding the house. What's troubling you?" Tommy asked.

John cleared his throat.

"Polly, you know what it's been like since Martha died." he nodded, referring to his dead wife, mother of his daughter.

"God takes the best first," Polly placed her hand over Johns. "Truth is, my kids have been running bloody rings around me. Running barefoot with the dogs until all hours." His eyes were fixed on the table.

"Pol, give him ten bob for some shoes. Is that it John?" Tommy stated as he lit a cigarette. "Tommy we would be better to do this without you!" Polly scolded.

"Now what's your point?" she looked back at John.

"What the kids need is a mother. That's why i'm getting married." he admitted.

"Does this poor girl know you're gonna marry her or are you just going to spring it on her all of a sudden?" Pol asked. "I already proposed and she said yes." John spoke nervously.

"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang—" Tommy muttered, blowing smoke into the air.

"It's..er..it's Lizzie Stark."

All three of them laughed and John glared at them. Lizzie Stark, the known whore of Garrison Lane.

"John, Lizzie Stark, is a strong woman, and i'm sure she provides a fine service for her customers.." Polly mocked. "I don't hear the word, understand. Do not use that word!" John shouted.

"What word is that John?" Tommy tormented.

"You know what word that is." John whispered. "Everybody bloody knows," Arthur chimed in. "Everybody can go to hell!" John shouted.

"Whore, that word? Or prostitute how about that one?"

"Right, i want it known if anyone calls her a whore again i will push the barrel of my revolver down their throats and blow the word down into their hearts." he threatened.

"Men and their cocks never cease to amaze me!" Polly remarked. "John, Lizzie Stark never did a days work vertical."

"She's changed," he shouted. "All right, people change, like with religion."