𝟎𝟏𝟐

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐

John sat with his arms around Madeline whilst she slept. He gently kissed her shoulder and closed his eyes. The events of the night prior replayed in his head. He didn't know Maddie was capable of doing such a thing. Shooting a gun, yeah sure. But killing a man with her hands? John didn't expect that one bit.

John held Madeline like she was going to slip right through his arms. He loved her dearly — Polly was beginning to believe that he was the only Shelby man who could truly love a woman.

After a while, John carefully climbed out of the bed and left the girl sleeping peacefully whilst he went to go check on Katie. "Hello, my girl." John smiled to his daughter who was sat on the floor playing with an old doll. Katie looked up and flashed a smile at her father. "Where's Maddie?" Katie asked.

John took a breath and sat on the couch opposite Katie. "She's still sleeping." He told her. "Have you had breakfast?" He asked.

Katie nodded once and gently brushed the dolls hair. "How is uncle Arthur's pub, Dad? Is it all new?" She asked curiously. John leaned back. "It is. It's all gold— you'd love it." John explained.

Katie's head shot up and smiled widely. "Gold?! Please can you take me, dad? Oh please!" She begged.

John chuckled at her and stood, scooping her up and sighing. "You can come another day when it won't be so busy." He promised. Katie rolled her eyes with a groan. "Fine!" She huffed.

-

"Where's ya wife, John boy?" Arthur asked, breaking the awkward silence that lingered over everybody in the betting den. John looked up for a moment from the betting book and looked at his brother before returning his gaze down to the book. "She's alright." He sniffed.

Arthur's hands were resting in his pockets and he leaned back on the wall. "Is she.. coping— y'know after.. er, after last night." He continued.

John took a breath and placed the book down. "Yeah— yeah she's fine, Arthur. She's resting at home I think." John said, blinking hard. Before Arthur could say any more, Finn came in with Katie on his hip.

"John, what do you bloody feed her for breakfast?" Finn sighed, putting the girl back on her feet.

"You best not be annoying your uncle, Katie." John warned. Katie grinned at him and held her hands behind her back, rocking back and forth on her feet.

"Shouldn't she be in school?" Finn asked.

John and Arthur shared a glance and both frowned. "Finn.. it's saturday."

Finn's mouth fell into an 'o' shape and he winced, feeling slightly embarrassed. Arthur shook his head with a chuckle and patted Finn's shoulder before leaving the room.

"Katie— Katie, come 'ere." John called his daughter over. "Listen," he kneeled to meet her eyes, "i'll be going over to the Garrison with your uncles today. We have a bit of work to do. But Maddie will be over here so you can stay here at Aunt Pol's house or you can go back home and play with Maria."

Katie looked up, thinking. "I'll think about it," she hummed.

John bit back his sigh and just nodded at Katie. "Alright then. But you just let Aunt Pol know, yeah? You let her know and she'll walk you over if you want to go home." He said, moving her hair out of her face.