SIX

𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝙷𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝙺𝚒𝚕𝚍𝚊𝚛𝚎, 𝙸𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚍, 𝟹:𝟻𝟾 𝙿.𝙼 𝙹𝙰𝙽 𝟷𝟼𝚝𝚑 𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾
[𝙿.𝙾.𝚅 𝙹𝙰𝚇𝙾𝙽]

I watch her from a distance, and the contrast between her open demeanor and her distant relationship with her family baffles me. She laughs, throws her head back, and enjoys her drinks, yet a lingering sadness lurks in her eyes.

Jayden, her son, approaches me with a question. "Will you stay with my mom?" His eyes mirror hers in that unique shade of gray.

I contemplate my response, mindful of the promise I made. "I'm not sure," I reply, not wanting to make false commitments. "If it works out, it works out, but I'll try my best." A smile spreads across Jayden's face, his relief evident, and he returns to his seat.

Observing the other children at the event, I notice that Jayden is the calmest among them. He doesn't run or exert himself, instead sitting next to his aunt, Frank, and Lindsey. In an unsettling twist, I begin to see a resemblance between Frank and Jayden. They share a similar nose and facial structure. A chill runs down my spine.

I signal Jayce to come over to me, and he obliges, leaning down to hear my quiet request. "Get DNA samples from Frank and Jayden for me and see if Frank is Jayden's father," I instruct. He nods and walks away, procuring a drink tray to blend in with the staff.

Jayce takes Jayden's cup and offers him a fresh glass of juice. Quietly, he approaches Frank, replacing his wine glass. After completing the swap, he smoothly exits the room. I sit back, maintaining a watchful eye on my new bride, who appears to be drowning her sorrows in alcohol. The evening is far from over, and more revelations may come to light.

𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝙷𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝙺𝚒𝚕𝚍𝚊𝚛𝚎, 𝙸𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚍, 𝟻:𝟹𝟻 𝙿.𝙼 𝙹𝙰𝙽 𝟷𝟼𝚝𝚑 𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾
[𝙿.𝙾.𝚅 𝙹𝙰𝚇𝙾𝙽]

"I need a second," Rose whispers, her eyes still reflecting the deep sadness that continues to elude me.

I hand her a glass of water, concern etching my features as I worry about the amount of alcohol she's consumed. If she keeps drinking at this rate, she might end up sick or even pass out. She accepts the water and quickly downs it. I signal Jayce over, and he grabs a plate of food, offering it to her. A soft smile tugs at her lips as she thanks him, and he returns to his discreet position behind Jayden in the corner.

"Sit down for a moment," I suggest gently, not in a commanding tone but with enough sincerity for her to consider it. She takes a seat next to me, and I take the opportunity to study her features. Her heart-shaped face, cupid-shaped lips, and almond-shaped gray eyes make her undeniably beautiful. However, as I glance around the room, it becomes apparent that most people view her as though she's beneath them.

"Do you need help moving your stuff?" I inquire.

Rose replies softly, "Yeah."

"I'll come over and assist you with moving in, then," I offer, and she nods her thanks.

I can't shake the feeling that she's concealing her pain from not just me, but her son and everyone around her. My gaze falls on Frank, whose anger is on full display as he glares at Rose. I direct my own glare toward him. His presence is likely a significant source of her suffering, and despite my desire to snap his neck, my priority is to comfort Rose. She clearly needs help and support, and I'm beginning to believe that our arrangement was destined to happen.