TWENTY-TWO

𝙲𝚘𝚛𝚔, 𝙸𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚍, 𝟺:𝟹𝟻 𝙿.𝙼 𝙰𝙿𝚁 𝟷𝟹𝚝𝚑 𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾
[𝙿.𝙾.𝚅 𝙹𝙰𝚇𝙾𝙽]

 The weight of the situation presses on me as I open the door, revealing Rose and Jayden standing together. Jayden rushes forward and wraps his small arms around me, his voice trembling with emotion. "Don't let us go," he whispers, his plea tugging at my heartstrings. "I need you," he adds, his eyes filled with tears.

The pain of these moments has been relentless, a relentless ache that gnaws at my soul. We've barely been married for two months, yet it feels as though we're enduring the agony of a twenty-year marriage being torn apart.

"Jayden, go grab the rest of your things before we go," Rose says, her voice carrying a heavy sense of melancholy. I can see the toll this has taken on her, evident in the dark circles beneath her eyes. She holds up the divorce papers, and I gently take them from her.

"I am really sorry," I sigh, my voice laced with genuine remorse.

"I don't want this any more than you do," she says, her words heavy with sadness. I nod in agreement, knowing that we're both hurting, but it's the best decision for Jayden's safety and well-being.

I pick up a pen and sign the divorce papers, each stroke of my signature feeling like a stab to the heart. Jayden returns down the hall, his arms loaded with his belongings, his expression a mix of sadness and confusion.

"We should go," Rose says, her voice tinged with sorrow. Jayden rushes forward, wrapping his free arm around me tightly.

"I love you, Dad," he says, tears streaming down his cheeks. My heart aches at his words, and I hold him close, savoring this final, bittersweet embrace. Rose guides him out of the house, her face reflecting the pain and heartbreak that we all feel.

"I love you too," I whisper, my voice cracking with emotion. "I love you both so much." As they leave, I'm left standing in the empty house, the echoes of their departure resonating through every room. The pain is almost unbearable, but I know deep down that I made the right choice to keep them safe, even if it means letting go of the love that had once brought so much joy into my life.

𝙱𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢𝚏𝚎𝚛𝚖𝚘𝚝, 𝙸𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚍, 𝟸:𝟸𝟹 𝙰.𝙼 𝙼𝙰𝚈 𝟸𝟶𝚝𝚑 𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾
[𝙿.𝙾.𝚅 𝚁𝙾𝚂𝙴]

The sleepless night is unbearable, and my thoughts constantly oscillate between Jaxon and the baby growing inside me. I toss and turn, the weight of my decisions and their consequences pressing heavily on my mind. The question nags at me: How had they not noticed I was pregnant at the hospital? It's a mystery that gnaws at me and adds to the turmoil within me.

My frustration and anxiety must be evident because Lilly, ever the observant and caring Sister, senses my distress. She appears by my side, a concerned look in her eyes. "Hey, are you okay?" she asks gently.

Tears flow freely from my eyes as I sit up, my emotions pouring out. "No, I'm not," I admit, my voice filled with sorrow. I rub my head, trying to alleviate the stress building inside me.

"It was hard enough with just Jayden. I can't take care of another kid alone," I sigh, my concerns about the future weighing heavily on me.

Lilly's response is compassionate yet stern. "Believe it or not, you need Jaxon, and damn it, he needs you. Get over the foolishness. He's a mafia leader, so what? He can protect you and Jayden. And what if those guys find out you're pregnant with his baby? They'll come for you anyway."

Her words hit home, but I can't easily dismiss the dangers I associate with Jaxon's world. The fear is deeply rooted, and it's not something I can just let go of.

"You need to sleep. You have a doctor's appointment tomorrow," Lilly advises, trying to help me find some peace in my restless night.

I lie back down, and my mind continues to race. I can't help but think about what Jaxon might be feeling at this very moment. Is he as broken as I am? Is he hurting, or worse, taking lives to protect his territory? My heart aches with the uncertainty of it all, and I wonder if we'll ever find our way back to each other.

But I have no choice. Jayden doesn't understand the complexities of the situation, and while he's upset with me about the divorce, I did this for him, to keep him safe from the threats that have shadowed our lives.

I roll onto my side and close my eyes, willing myself to find some rest amid the turmoil. The long night stretches on, filled with a mixture of fear, uncertainty, and the hope that somehow, we will find a way to navigate the tumultuous path ahead.

𝙳𝚞𝚋𝚕𝚒𝚗, 𝙸𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚍, 𝟷:𝟺𝟼 𝙿.𝙼 𝙼𝙰𝚈 𝟸𝟶𝚝𝚑 𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾
[𝙿.𝙾.𝚅 𝚁𝙾𝚂𝙴]

It feels strange, but not necessarily in a negative way. Memories of ultrasounds and pregnancy questions from my first experience as a mother come flooding back. I may have been less experienced back then, but I made sure to go over everything before showing up at the doctor's office today.

As I step into the waiting area, I approach the reception desk and sign the necessary paperwork before the appointment officially begins. Finding a quiet corner to sit, I retrieve a pen and start filling out the questionnaire provided.

"Mom?" Jayden's small voice calls to me.

I look up from the paperwork, my heart warming at the sight of my young son standing there, his eyes filled with innocence and curiosity. "Yes, my love?" I ask, a gentle smile playing on my lips.

He hesitates for a moment, unsure, and then asks, "Can I sit next to you?"

"You don't have to ask, baby. Come on," I reply warmly, pulling my bag from the seat right next to me. I shift in my chair, creating space for him to settle in beside me. Jayden's presence brings me a sense of comfort, reminding me of the reason I'm here today.

With him by my side, I return to the questionnaire, a series of questions that delve into my family history, my previous pregnancies, and my overall health. I take my time answering each one honestly, knowing that these details are crucial for the doctor to provide the best possible care for the new life growing within me.

The questions range from asking about my previous pregnancies and their outcomes to any family history of genetic conditions or illnesses. The more comprehensive the information, the better the doctor can assess the health of both me and the baby. I complete the questionnaire thoughtfully, hoping that this time around, the journey will be smooth and without complications.

Patiently, we wait for our turn to be called into the doctor's office, each minute building a sense of anticipation and excitement, mixed with a touch of apprehension.