Meanwhile, somewhere else entirely...

Ruby's head hurt. Actually, scratch that, everything hurt.

She let out a soft groan, but didn't move. Instead she focussed on what she could feel around her.

She was lying down, that much was clear. The air around her was cold, but there was no wind. Barely any noise at all, in fact. She could feel something stiff and scratchy smooshed up against her face. A carpet? She sniffed and almost gagged. Make that a very, very unclean carpet.

She tried an experimental wiggle, and got as far as her fingers before she realised her wrists were bound together. Her ankles too. Out of habit, her fingers reached for the escape watch, only to close on bare skin. Darn it.

Finally, because she couldn't bear the darkness any longer, Ruby opened her eyes.

At first, there wasn't much difference. Her up-close-and-personal experience with the carpet wasn't helping much either. Slowly, gritting her teeth against the throbbing of her skull at the movement, Ruby rolled onto her side.

She was lying in a fairly large room. It was dark, but a haze of light coming through a pair of floor-length (but thankfully moth-eaten) curtains made it possible to make out vague shapes in the room.

Everything appeared to be covered in large sheets, and the air was thick with dust.

Oh man, thought Ruby. What have I gotten myself into this time?