Mrs Digby was not impressed...

So far, she hadn't seen anyone. Ruby had told her there'd been a man, before she came, who had gloated for a bit about being to clever for Spectrum. She hadn't recognised him, and he'd mainly stayed in the shadows by the door, anyway.

Mrs Digby had her own suspicions about who the man was, but she decided to keep them to herself. She was supposed to keep Ruby safe. Perhaps not a reasonable expectation given the circumstances, but one she would cling to nonetheless.

If anything were to happen to Ruby...

This was, Mrs Digby knew, all her fault. If she'd only kept her nose out of his business. Or kept her own business out of Ruby's, perhaps. Except that really would be impossible.

Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk. No. She needed a plan to get them both out of here.

By her calculations, they still had a day until the museum launch, so at least that was something. And there was her little insurance plan, too. She trusted Bug, of course, but not necessarily whatever human he decided to take her letter two. Humans were rarely as smart as they thought they were.

But one day. One day to escape, or be rescued. Not terrible odds - she'd faced worse. Her ideal plan, of course, would be to goad their kidnappers into revealing themselves. But that was unlikely to work on someone who - probably - remembered her tactics all too well. He wouldn't want to give her anything.

Mrs Digby felt a slight blush of pride that he respected her abilities so much, even after all this time. His mistake, though, had been not respecting Ruby's. And she was determined that would be his downfall.