A secret Brother

"Mama, I'll be just fine. Don't worry. Miss Evans did an amazing job with the house. You really should thank her," Laila reassured her mother over the phone, her voice filled with confidence.

"I'm so sorry, darling. I wish I could have been there for you," Ana said, her tone laden with regret.

"It's perfectly fine, Mom. I'll see you in just a week."

"Remember, call me if you need anything. I'll ask Hillary to do some grocery shopping for you, so you don't have to worry about it."

"Thanks, Mom."

Knock, knock

"Mom, there's someone at the door. I'll catch up with you later. Bye."

"Take care, sweetheart," her mother said before the call ended.

Laila approached the front door to see who was there. An elderly woman stood, holding her dog on a leash and offered a casserole of delicious-smelling food.

"Hello, dear. My name is Ruth. I'm your neighbor from next door. I noticed you were moving in, and I thought you might need something to eat," Ruth said warmly, her eyes brimming with kindness.

"That's incredibly kind, Ruth. I'm Laila. Please come in, and don't mind the mess. I haven't even begun unpacking yet. There's so much old furniture here; I might have to part with some of it," Laila shared, her voice tinged with both gratitude and uncertainty.

Ruth's expression turned somber. "Mrs. Dickens was very attached to her furniture. In fact, she was possessive about everything in this house. It's hard to see things change around here," she noted, her words laced with a hint of caution.

"You knew my grandma?" Laila inquired with a mixture of curiosity and surprise in her tone.

"Yes, I've lived in this neighborhood for over 60 years. Mr. and Mrs. Dickens were wonderful neighbors. I'm really happy someone is back to live in this beautiful property," Ruth revealed, her voice carrying a touch of nostalgia.

"Do you think I should keep this furniture?"

"If you ask me, yes. It definitely has some sentimental value, if that's something your generation values," Ruth said with a wry smile, her words gently pricking Laila's emotions.

"Would you like to take a look around?"

"I don't want to be a bother. I'll come visit when you're done settling. See you," Ruth replied and left, locking the door behind her.

Left to her own devices, Laila began unpacking her belongings, repositioning the furniture, and grappling with the decision of what to keep or discard. Unable to make a choice, she decided to keep everything, temporarily storing unused furniture in the basement.

As the day transitioned into evening, exhaustion set in. Laila remembered the meal provided by Ruth and savored it hungrily. She indulged in a warm bath for comfort, then retreated to her bedroom, which she had meticulously arranged. Her bed was neatly made, and her clothes were carefully placed in the old dresser that was part of the house. She began to appreciate the vintage items her grandparents had owned.

Finally, sleep beckoned. After a long, tiring day, she drifted into slumber. In the middle of the night, the large clock in the living room rang a loud bell, jolting her awake. Startled by the unfamiliar sound, she discovered a young boy sitting at the foot of her bed. Her fear and confusion were palpable.

"Who are you?" she asked, her voice a mixture of calm and trepidation. "What are you doing here?"

The little boy slowly turned his head, revealing a face with striking resemblances to her own, featuring little blue eyes and a slender nose.