OVER YOUR SHOULDER

Sairat

A question had been lingering in my mind for over a year. Was it worth it? I'm still stuck in that thought, unable to find an answer. I had become what I always dreamed of, but was it truly worth it? If it was, then why she did that to me? I sighed and put on my coat, walking out of my cabin and pushing open the door. The nurse and some people around greeted me, and I replied with a smile as I walked towards the general ward.

"So, how are you feeling, Miss Lee?" I asked a woman named Miss Soijun Lee, who had been suffering from uterus cancer. She is from Korea, her family and husband had abandoned her in this condition. She found our hospital as her last hope. She smiled and replied, "Fine, doctor. Thank you so much for taking care of me."

"It's alright, Mrs. Lee. It's my duty," I smiled back and started checking her drip. But suddenly, someone barged into the ward. It was Karan, and I frowned, wondering what had happened.

"What happened, Karan? Why are you panting?" I asked him.

"There's an emergency patient, a woman in her eighth month of pregnancy..." he explained everything while scooting to the emergency room. I saw a lady on the bed, crying holding her bump. A man standing beside her. I stopped in my tracks. Someone from my past had entered my life again, and I was facing it: she

After stabilizing her condition, I came out of the room. Her husband stood up and approached me, asking about her condition. He seemed worried and overwhelmed, and I patted his back assuringly.

"She's fine. I've kept her under observation for a few days. If you agree, you can sign the papers. Karan will guide you," I said and about to leave, but he held my hands this time.

"Thank you so much, doctor," he said gratefully. I spare glare to Karan, and he immediately pulled the man away. I went back to my cabin, furiously slamming the door behind me. I rested my hand on the window clift, looking out into the world outside the hospital. Then, my eyes fell on a familiar figure. It was Nandani. Was she going somewhere? Yes, she was going to a cafe. A smile automatically formed on my face. Let's surprise her.

I barged out of the room, and Karan came in front of me. "Sir, Patient three zero one is calling you," he informed. I rolled my eyes. I didn't want to meet anyone now, except Nandani.

"Why?" I questioned, walking out with him

"Because she's missing... you," he hesitantly replied, i stopped and turn to him.

"And who is this person missing me?" I asked, raising my brows.

"Mandika Gadiwal," he replied. The CM's sister. She was a constant headache for me. I had told her numerous times that she wasn't ill, yet she insisted on being admitted to the hospital.

"Tell her I have important work that came up," I ordered, removed my gown and handed him.

"Sir, she's admitted. How can she leave?" He tried to reason, but I didn't listen to him. I left the hospital with a smile on my face. It was just a road between us.

I took out my phone to call Nandani but realized I don't have her number. We had met three times, yet I don't have her number. How dumb could I be? I sighed and shoved the phone back into my pocket, walking on the other side and crossing the lane. I looked up at the hoarding of the cafe: "They're waiting for you." What a weird name, but I had seen this cafe many times and never bothered to look at the name. I pushed open the door and went inside, glancing around the entire cafe. Some stares were directed at me, and my gaze fell on her - Nandani, sitting in the corner with a book. Should I say this to you? Don't flatter her, but she looked extremely gorgeous in a light pink frock and white boots, with open wavy hair and light red lipstick. Her lips were kissable. I shook my head to clear my thoughts and thought of surprising her. But someone bumped into me while walking towards her and took the seat in front of her. Wait, was she on a date? My internal structure sulked in disappointment. I sighed and turned to leave, but then I heard my name.