Chapter 1 - Dot arrives

After racing with Wolf in the pool, Ace headed up to his room. Ace took his time, taking his shower and changing his clothes. Since he had nothing else to do this afternoon, he figured that maybe he would catch up on his reading.

What he really wanted to do was to go for a ride on his bike but there was still too much snow on the ground and it was really cold outside. He had finished his last book last night so he headed for the library downstairs. He had just hit the bottom step when someone rang the buzzer for the front gate.

Ace waited as Beau, who was closest to the front door, pushed the intercom button and said "May I help you?"

Prez had just come out of his office because he had heard the buzzer and joined Ace as they waited to hear who it was.

"I'm looking for Robbie and Diana Thruston? I'm their Aunt Dorothy."

When they heard that, Prez glanced at Ace, who had the strangest look on his face. "Ace? Do you know anything about this?" He asked and then nudged Ace when he didn't reply, "Ace?"

"Oh sorry. Yeah. Let her in." Ace said. His heart was racing and he felt like he wanted to run to collect Diana and just hide her so that this woman couldn't take her away but there was also something about this woman's voice that had him glued to the floor where he stood.

Beau pushed the button to open the gates and then the button to speak to her, "Come on in. You can park right outside of the front door."

Prez told Beau, "Go tell Robbie and Diana that their Aunt is here."

Beau walked down the hall to the infirmary and Doc told him "He's in the room down the hall. Third door on your right. I think Diana is with Melinda in the playroom."

"Thanks, Doc." Beau said and went to collect Robbie first. He knocked on Robbie's door and heard "Come in." Beau opened the door and said "Robbie, there's a woman at the door for you. Says she's your Aunt Dorothy?"

"Awesome. Thanks, Beau." Robbie said and rushed to follow him out the door. They stopped by the playroom to collect Diana, who surprised Robbie by acting reluctant to come with him at first.

"Come on. She's waiting for us." Robbie said, urging her to hurry up. When she seemed to drag her feet, as soon as they were out of the playroom he stopped and kneeled down to talk to her and said, "What's wrong, Sunshine?"

"Robbie, is she going to take us away from here?" Diana asked with a sniff.

"I don't know what we are going to do yet, sweetheart. I doubt if we will be staying here. Why?" Robbie asked after he knelt beside her, so that he was not towering over her.

"I don't want to go. I don't want to leave Ace. He will be sad. And I really like Joey. And Kelly." Diana added on. She had already picked up on how Ace's face always lit up whenever he saw her. It had made her happy to make him happy.

"Baby, we can't stay here. This is a place for big men, not little girls. Even Kelly and Joey are going home today. They won't even be here for dinner tonight." Robbie said. "Maybe Ace can come and visit us sometime? Come on now. I think you will like Aunt Dot. She looks just like you and mom, from what I remember."

Diana finally nodded and took his hand when he stood up and reached out his good hand. She dragged her feet as much as possible and while Robbie urged her to hurry, he didn't push too much. He knew his sister and to push her was going to make her act rudely when she met their aunt.

When she saw Ace at the end of the hall, standing, not really shaking her hand but holding Dot's hand and they were just looking at each other, she took off running to him.