Chapter 4 - Dot talks with the kids

Since they had such limited time together, Ace led her out to the dining room and over to a table near the french doors that allowed a view outside.

"Oh that is beautiful. That's one thing I've missed over the past few years is the changing of the seasons. My land base is in Florida so the seasonal changes are not as dramatic as here in Kentucky. At sea it's either a warm wind or a freezing cold wind." Dot said as Ace helped her with her chair, then sat down next to her.

"So, do you have to work today? What do you do besides rescue children?" Dot asked.

"Well, I just finished working on overhauling Robbie's truck. Normally, I work in our garage but this time of the year, we're kind of slow. People have just finished spending all of their money on Christmas so many of them have to wait until they get their tax returns to even think about tuning up their vehicles. Otherwise, I'm one of the primary house guards." Ace said and wasn't surprised when she asked what he meant by that.

"I left the Marines as a Master Gunnery Sergeant. I'm a sniper and the best shot in this club. The only other person who comes close to me is Scar's woman, Cinder. She's also very new to the club but she shot in many competitions when she was younger." Ace said.

"Now why would a motorcycle club need a sniper? I mean, I know you carry a handgun because I felt it last night under your vest and I've noticed that all of the men here carry a gun." Dot said.

"Does that not bother you?" Ace asked.

"No. I have my service weapon in my room. I just don't wear it when I'm not on duty." Dot said.

"Well, before I answer your question, I need to tell you that there are some things about what we do or that go on within the club that I can't discuss with you, for your own safety. I'm a sniper only when the club is attacked by a rival gang.

I used to be called to service a lot more often back when I first came here but we've done a lot to clean up this area and we've run most of the rival gangs out now." Ace said and watched her face. She just nodded and took another sip of her coffee. She was either unaffected by the information or she would be an excellent poker player because she gave nothing away. He decided to get it all out there while they had the private time to talk.

"There's something I need to tell you that I pray will not scare you away." Ace said, nervous about telling her.

"What's that?" Dot asked, curiously. "I don't scare easily, Ace. I want us to be able to talk to each other openly and honestly."

Ace took a deep breath and told her, "I spent two years in Iraq and saw and experienced some things that have made me wish I had never enlisted. Things that have left me with PTSD. Last night was the first full night's sleep I've had without heavy duty sleeping pills in over 5 years.

I went through months of therapy, thanks to Prez and I take medication for it now. I don't get flashbacks often anymore but if I do, please don't try to touch me in any way. Just stand back and call my name until I acknowledge you." He watched her face carefully but all she did was nod her head.

"Please say something." Ace asked when she didn't say anything.

"I'm waiting for you to tell me something really bad." Dot said. "Look, Ace. We've both got a past. The Navy is no picnic for a woman, especially on board a ship with over 200 men. Sometimes the threats are a lot closer to home and not nameless faces."

"What do you mean? Did someone attack you on board that ship?" Ace said, becoming incensed.

"More than once but don't worry. I took care of it. There is nothing funnier than to see the surprised look on a man's face when he thinks he's pinned someone and is going to get some free tail, than when he lands flat on his back after you've put him there without help from anyone." Dot grinned at him. "Just so you know, I have belts in Aikido and Karate. I may be small but I can take care of myself." Dot had to laugh when Ace's eyes got the size of silver dollars.