Chapter 8 - Ace and Dot's first date & Heather calls for help

Ace had almost given up on their romantic evening, having spent it all talking about work and he had a feeling that he was driving Dot away. But if they were going to be together, he would not lie to her or let her go into being with him without knowing all of the facts. To do anything else would have been deceitful on his part and that's not the kind of relationship he wanted.

Dot had sat and listened to him, her mind racing with everything that he had to say and realized that while she may not necessarily agree with their methods, if she was honest with herself, she understood why they do things the way they do.

Dot had watched his facial expressions and she could tell that he was dedicated and truly cared about what he and his brothers did to help innocent women and children, regardless of their ages.

"You said that many of the people here came from bad situations. I find it hard to believe that anyone beat on some of these guys. They are all so big and strong looking." Dot said.

"Well, most of them did not start off being big and strong. Some of them were just skinny little kids but I guess the most physically damaged is Scar. His mother died when he was a baby. His father apparently never wanted kids and Scar was seriously not only neglected but abused. He came to the club when Prez's dad was running things, before his mom was killed. Scar didn't know how to talk and would just grunt or whine. He had no clue about eating off a plate or how to use a fork, knife or spoon and any loud noise had him running to hide, especially thunderstorms or when more than one bike was started up. Hearing a gun go off and they nearly had to peel him off of the ceiling.

I'm told that he didn't even know about sleeping on a bed and would pull the sofa away from the wall and sleep on the floor because his father had only allowed him a space under the back steps of their porch to get out of the weather except when it was extremely cold outside.

We're not even sure how long he had been hiding after his father beat him severely and just left him hanging in the yard. His back got infected and flies had laid eggs in the open wounds. Instead of getting him medical attention or even trying to help him, he poured bleach on his back and then rinsed it with boiling water. Then Scar was allowed to crawl back under the steps.

When the utility man came to read the meter, he heard Scar whimpering and called Prez's father as well as the law and an ambulance. The doctors at the hospital deemed him retarded and were going to put him in an institution but Kathryn and Dux, Prez's parents, said no, that they would take him. They brought him home and raised him as their own, right along with Prez. They are only about a year apart in age, I think.

If you ever see him without his shirt, please try not to react to his back. The entire thing was burned and cut open. Same is true for several of the women here but their stories are for them to tell.

I'm not telling you all of this to scare you and hopefully, I'm not driving you away. I just feel that it's important for you to know the truth about what we do and why.

Now there are a lot of things that I can not discuss with you, especially before you accept my claim and officially become my ole' lady but I want you to know what you are getting into and for you to feel like you are making an intelligent decision.

I can promise you that I will never lie to you or hurt you. I want us to have an open and honest relationship. Understand?" Ace asked hopefully.

"Yes, I understand and it's a lot to think about. I guess right now, I'm just wondering what my role would be if I decide we should stay here? I mean, I've got some savings but it's not enough for us to live off of indefinitely. I can't touch my pension for years to come without paying a hefty penalty. Besides, I'm used to working and I think it would drive me crazy to just sit around and visit with the other women all the time. I need to feel useful." Dot said.