Chapter 15. Mother's Birthday

{Gianna's pov}

*Jingle*

"Oh, you changed the doorbell?" Brinley voice echoed in the empty shop as I was sweeping the floor.

"Yes, I changed the doorbell, is it nice?" I asked her and smiled.

"Yes!! It has a sweet and enthusiastic sound." Brinley commented as she placed something on the coffee table with a thud.

"What did you bring?" Brinley suddenly hugged me and said, "Oh I brought some snacks and beverages on my way here, anyways thank you for letting me stay at your place!! I have many friends, but I can say with confidence that you and Amelia are the best friends I've ever met."

"Oh, stop it...you're good at flattering." I giggled as I spoke to her.

"So...were you cleaning?" Brinley asked me, to which I nodded. "Can I help you?" She asked me, but I shook my head and responded, "I'm about to finish, you can make yourself a cup of coffee while I pack up everything and close for the day."

*yaawwwnnn*

"Charlie? Are you tired or just feeling sleepy?" I asked Charlie as I heard him yawning.

"Aooww aow aowww oww" Charlie made sounds as he trudged towards my foot and rubbed my leg with his soft silky fur. I giggled and said, "Alright, I get it. You want to go home, I know, just wait for a bit, let me finish." I said as I rubbed his fur and patted his head.

'He must be tired...it was a long and tiring day. There were quite a lot of customers today, I also feel tired myself. I should tell Amelia to cook by herself today...but what if she's also tired? Ah, I'll make the dinner myself, it's not a big deal...' I was thinking when someone tapped on my shoulder, bringing me back from the daze.

"What're you thinking so deeply about, Gianna?" Brinley asked, which I just shrugged and responded, "Nothing special, just thinking about what to make for dinner."

"Ohh...let Amelia come, we'll decide together, what do you say?" Brinley suggested, and I nodded in approval.

~An hour later~

"I'm home!" Amelia shouted as she slammed the front door and burst inside the house.

"Amelia!! Behave yourself!" I scolded as soon as I heard Amelia banging the door open.

"Oops I'm sorry." Amelia gave a vague apology and went to take a quick shower.

"She's quite energetic." Brinley commented to which I chuckled, "She behaves like a small spoiled kid, though I scold her for her antics... I feel relieved and happy for her, that she's enjoying her life." I smiled, remembering our childhood days when we played together, when I still had my eyesight and enjoyed every moment of my life.

Brinley silently caught hold of my hands and tightened her grip as if giving me strength and support. I don't know if she feels my pain, but I am thankful and very grateful to receive this support from her.

Amelia soon came after getting refreshed, and we decided to make ramen, as Brinley already had brought many snacks and beverages.

I gave Charlie his food, which he ate just in a few minutes and went to sleep.

The rest three of us enjoyed till late at night gossiping and eating. We all drifted to sleep as we got tired of staying up too late.

I thought we might sleep peacefully as we enjoyed our day, but I was wrong.

"Gianna...my sweet child, come here... Mamma misses you...come here, my child." I whimpered as I heard my mother's smooth, soft and whispering voice.

"My child, you've done a wonderful job...in taking care of your little sister... Amelia is a good and spoiled child...she deserves to be loved by you and others...but you broke your promise, sweetheart..." Mother's whispering voice made me shiver, did I recover my eyesight? I was not able to open my mouth and speak, I want to hug and speak to you mother!! I shuffled as I tried going near my mother, but the distance between us increased even more.