Chapter 10

---

(M/N) was frozen, staring at the screen as the room went into uproar. Questions and demands rang out as they tried to decipher Katsuki's words. "And you... in Thirteen... dead by morning!" Yet no one was asking about the messenger whose blood had been replaced by static.

A voice called the others to attention. "Shut up!" Every pair of eyes fell on Shota. "It's not some big mystery! He was telling us we're about to be attacked. Here. In Thirteen."

"How would he have that information?"

"Why should we trust him?"

"How do you know?

Shota growled in frustration. "They're beating him bloody while we speak. What more do you need? (M/N), help me out here!"

It took (M/N) a moment to find his voice again. "Shota's right. I don't know where Katsuki got the information. Or if it's true. But he believes it is. And they're-" He couldn't say aloud what Nezu was doing to him.

"You don't know him," Shota said to Kaina. "We do. Get your people to safety."

The president didn't seem alarmed, only somewhat perplexed, by this turn of events. She mulled over the words, tapping one finger lightly on the rim of the control board in front of her. When she spoke, she addressed Shota in an even voice. "Of course, we have prepared for such a scenario. Although we have decades of support for the assumption that further direct attacks on Thirteen would be counterproductive to the Capitol's cause. Nuclear missiles would release radiation into the atmosphere, with incalculable environmental results. Even routine bombing could badly damage our military compound, which we know they hope to regain. And, of course, they invite a counterstrike. It is conceivable that, given our current alliance with the rebels, those would be viewed as acceptable risks."

"You think so?" Shota said. It was a shade too sincere, but the subtleties of irony were often wasted in 13.

"I do. At any rate, we're overdue for a Level Five security drill," Kaina said. "Let's proceed with the lockdown." She began to type rapidly on her keyboard, authorising her decision.

Mashirao guided Denki and (M/N) out of Command along the hall to a doorway and on to a wide stairway as the ear-piercing sirens began to sound throughout the complex. Streams of people were converging to form a river that flowed only downward. No one shrieked or tried to push ahead. Even the children didn't resist. They descended, flight after flight, speechless, because no word could be heard above this sound. (M/N) looked for his mother and Eri, but it was impossible to see anyone but those immediately around him. They were both working in the hospital tonight, though, so there was no way they could miss the drill.

Groups of people began to peel off into marked doorways and still Mashirao directed him downward, until finally the stairs ended at the edge of an enormous cavern. (M/N) started to walk straight in and Mashirao stopped him, showing him that he had to wave his schedule in front of a scanner so that he was accounted for. No doubt the information was going to some computer somewhere to make sure no one had gone astray.

The place seemed unable to decide if it was natural or man-made. Certain areas of the walls were stone, while steel beams and concrete heavily reinforced others. Sleeping bunks were cut directly into the rock walls. There was a kitchen, bathrooms, and a first-aid station. This place was designed for an extended stay.

White signs with letters or numbers were placed at intervals around the cavern. As Mashirao told Denki and (M/N) to report to the area that matched their assigned quarters - in (M/N)'s case E for Compartment E - Kan strolled up. "Ah, here you are," he said. Recent events had had little effect on Kan's mood. He still had a happy glow from Tenya's success on the Airtime Assault. Eyes on the forest, not on the trees. Not on Katsuki's punishment or 13's imminent blasting. "(M/N), obviously this is a bad time for you, what with Katsuki's setback, but you need to be aware that others will be watching you."