Chapter 17

Lol I forgot to post on sunday

oopsies

---

Blindsided. That was how (M/N) felt when Shota told him in the hospital. He ran down the steps to Command, mind racing, and burst right into a war meeting.

"What do you mean, I'm not going to the Capitol? I have to go! I'm the Mockingjay!" (M/N) said.

Kaina barely looked up from her screen. "And as the Mockingjay, your primary goal of unifying the districts against the Capitol has been achieved. Don't worry - if it goes well, we'll fly you in for the surrender."

"That'll be too late! I'll miss all the fighting. You need me - I'm the best shot you've got!" (M/N) shouted. He didn't usually brag about this, but it had to be at least close to true. "Shoto's going."

"Shoto has shown up for training every day unless occupied with other approved duties. We feel confident he can manage himself in the field," Kaina said. "How many training sessions do you estimate you've attended?"

None. That was how many. "Well, sometimes I was hunting. And... I trained with Tenya down in Special Weaponry."

"It's not the same, (M/N)," Mashirao said. "We all know you're smart and a good shot. But we need soldiers in the field. You don't know the first thing about executing orders, and you're not exactly at your physical peak."

"That didn't bother you when I was in Eight. Or Two, for that matter," (M/N) countered.

"You weren't originally authorised for combat in either case," Kan said, shooting (M/N) a look that signalled he was about to reveal too much.

No, the bomber battle in 8 and his intervention in 2 were spontaneous, rash, and definitely unauthorised.

"And both resulted in your injury," Mashirao reminded him. Suddenly, (M/N) saw himself through Mashirao's eyes. A nineteen-year-old boy who couldn't quite catch his breath since his ribs had not fully healed. Dishevelled. Undisciplined. Recuperating. Not a soldier, but someone who needed to be looked after.

"But I have to go," (M/N) said.

"Why?" Kaina asked.

(M/N) couldn't very well say it was so he could carry out his own personal vendetta against Nezu. Or that the idea of remaining in 13 with the latest version of Katsuki while Shoto left to fight was unbearable. But he had no shortage of reasons to want to fight in the Capitol. "Because of Twelve. Because they destroyed my district."

The president thought for a moment. "Well, you have three weeks. It's not long, but you can begin training. If the Assignment Board deems you fit, possibly your case will be reviewed."

That was it. That was the most he could hope for. It was his fault to begin with. He blew off his schedule every day unless something suited him. It didn't seem like much of a priority, jogging around a field with a gun with so many other things going on. And now he was paying for his negligence.

Back in the hospital, he found Neito in the same circumstance and spitting mad. (M/N) told him about what Kaina said. "Maybe you can train, too."

"Fine. I'll train. But I'm going to the stinking Capitol if I have to kill a crew and fly there myself," Neito said.

"Probably best not to bring that up in training," (M/N) said. "But it's nice to know I'll have a ride."

Neito grinned, and (M/N) felt a slight but significant shift in their relationship. They still definitely weren't friends, but possibly allies. That was good. (M/N) would need an ally.