Chapter 14

---

District 2 was a large district, as one would expect, composed of a series of villages spread across the mountains. Each was originally associated with a mine or quarry, although now, many were devoted to the housing and training of Peacekeepers. None of this would present much of a challenge, since the rebels had 13's airpower on their side, except for one thing: at the centre of the district was a virtually impenetrable mountain that housed the heart of the Capitol's military.

The mountain - nicknamed the Nut - was established directly after the Dark Days, when the Capitol had lost 13 and was desperate for a new underground stronghold. They had some of their military resources situated on the outskirts of the Capitol itself - nuclear missiles, aircraft, troops - but a significant chunk of their power was now under an enemy's control. Of course, there was no way they could hope to replicate 13, which was the work of centuries. However, in the old mines of nearby District 2, they saw opportunity. From the air, the Nut appeared to be just another mountain with a few entrances on its faces. But inside were vast enormous cavernous spaces where slabs of stone had been cut, hauled to the surface and transported down slippery narrow roads to make distant buildings. There was even a train system to facilitate transporting the miners from the Nut to the very centre of the main town in District 2. It ran right to the square that Katsuki and (M/N) visited during the Victory Tour, standing on the wide marble steps of the Justice Building.

It was not the most ideal terrain, plagued as it was by mudslides, flood and avalanches. But the advantages outweighed the concerns. As they'd cut deep into the mountain, the miners left large pillars and walls of stone to support the infrastructure. The Capitol reinforced these and set about making the mountain their new military base. Filling it with computer banks and meeting rooms, barracks and arsenals. Widening entrances to allow the exit of hovercraft from the hangar, installing missile launchers. But on the whole, leaving the exterior of the mountain largely unchanged. A rough rocky tangle of trees and wildlife. A natural fortress to protect them from their enemies.

By the other districts' standards, the Capitol babied the inhabitants here. Just by looking at the District 2 rebels, it was obvious that they were decently fed and cared for in childhood. Some did end up as quarry and mine workers. Others were educated for jobs in the Nut or funnelled into the ranks of Peacekeepers. Training young and hard for combat. The Hunger Games were an opportunity for wealth and a kind of glory not seen elsewhere. Of course, the people of 2 swallowed the Capitol's propaganda more easily than the rest of the districts. Embraced their ways. But for all that, at the end of the day, they were still slaves. And if that was lost on the citizens who became Peacekeepers or worked in the Nut, it was not lost on the stonecutters who formed the backbone of the resistance here.

Things stood as they did when (M/N) arrived two weeks ago. The outer villages were in rebel hands, the town divided, and the Nut was as untouchable as ever. Its few entrances heavily fortified, its heart safely enfolded in the mountain. While every other district had now wrested control from the Capitol. 2 remained in its pocket.

Each day, (M/N) did whatever he could to help. Visited the wounded. Taped short propos with his camera crew. He wasn't allowed in actual combat, but they invited him to the meetings on the status of war, which was a lot more than they did in 13. It was much better here. Freer, no schedules on his arm, fewer demands of his time. He lived above ground in the rebel villages or surrounding caves. For safety's sake, he was relocated often. During the day, he had been given clearance to hunt as long as he took a guard along and didn't stray too far. In the thin, cold mountain air, he felt some physical strength returning, his mind clearing away the rest of the fogginess. But with this mental clarity came an even sharper awareness of what had been done to Katsuki.