Chapter 23

---

Who the woman was calling to remained a mystery, because after searching the apartment, they found she was alone. Perhaps her cry was meant for a nearby neighbour, or was simply an expression of fear. At any rate, there was no one else to hear her.

The apartment would be a classy place to hole up for a while, but that was a luxury they couldn't afford. "How long do you think before they figure out some of us could've survived?" (M/N) asked.

"I think they could be here anytime," Shoto answered. "They knew we were heading for the streets. The explosion will probably throw them for a few minutes, then they'll start looking for our exit point."

(M/N) went to a window overlooking the street, and when he peeked through the blinds, he wasn't faced with Peacekeepers but with a bundled crowd of people going about their business. During their underground journey, they had left the evacuated zones far behind and surfaced in a busy section of the Capitol. This crowd offered their only chance of escape. (M/N) didn't have the Holo, but he had Ryuko. She joined him at the window, confirmed she knew their location, and gave (M/N) the good news that they weren't many blocks from the president's mansion.

One glance at his companions told him this was no time for a stealth attack on Nezu. Shoto was still losing blood from the neck wound - which they hadn't cleaned - and Denki could barely walk with his leg. Katsuki was sitting on a velvet sofa with his teeth clamped down on a pillow, seemingly fighting off madness. Tamaki weeped against the mantle of an ornate fireplace. Ryuko stood determinedly at his side, but she was so pale she looked like she would pass out at any moment. (M/N) was running on hate. When the energy for that ebbed, he would be worthless.

"Let's check her closets," (M/N) said.

In one bedroom they found hundreds of the woman's outfits, coats, pairs of shoes, a rainbow of wigs, enough make-up to paint a house. In a bedroom across the hall, there was a similar selection for men. Perhaps they belonged to her husband. Perhaps to a lover who had the good luck to be out this morning.

(M/N) called the others to dress. It was cold out, so they could conceal most of their uniforms and weapons under flowing coats and cloaks. They hung their boots around their necks by their laces to hide them, pulled on silly shoes to replace them. The real challenge, of course, was their faces. Ryuko and Tamaki ran the risk of being recognized by acquaintances, Shoto could be familiar from the propos and news, Denki was, well, Denki, and (M/N) and Katsuki were known by every citizen of Panem. They hastily helped one another apply thick layers of make-up, pulled on wigs and sunglasses. Ryuko wrapped scarves over Katsuki's and (M/N)'s mouths and noses.

He could feel the clock ticking away, but stopped for just a few moments to stuff pockets with food and first-aid supplies. "Will you be able to walk like that?" (M/N) asked Denki.

"No choice but to try," Denki said.

It would look suspicious to have him limping around outside. "Stick with me, I'll help you," (M/N) said. "Everyone stay together." Then, with (M/N) subtly keeping Denki upright, they marched through the front door right into the street. Snow flurries had begun to fall. Agitated people swirled around them, speaking of rebels and hunger and (M/N). They crossed the street, passed a few more apartments. Just as they turned the corner, three dozen Peacekeepers swept past them. They hopped out of their way, as the real citizens did, but waited until the crowd returned to its normal flow, and kept moving.

"Ryuko," (M/N) whispered. "Can you think of anywhere?"

"I'm trying," she said.

They covered another block, and the sirens began. Through an apartment window, (M/N) saw an emergency report and pictures of their faces flashing. They hadn't identified who in the party died yet, because he saw Eijiro among the photos. Soon every passerby would be as dangerous as a Peacekeeper. "Ryuko?"