Chapter 21

---

That made two requests for Katsuki's death in less than an hour.

"Don't be ridiculous," Ikara said.

"I just murdered a member of our squad!" Katsuki shouted.

"You pushed him off you. You couldn't have known he would trigger the net at that exact spot," Denki said.

"Who cares? He's dead, isn't he?" Katsuki gripped at his hair. "I didn't know. I've never seen myself like that before. (M/N) is right. I'm the monster. I'm the mutt. I'm the one Nezu has turned into a weapon."

"It's not your fault, Katsuki," Denki said.

"You can't take me with you. It's only a matter of time before I kill someone else." Katsuki looked around at their conflicted faces. "Maybe you think it's kinder to just dump me somewhere. Let me take my chances. But that's the same thing as handing me over to the Capitol. Do you think you'd be doing me a favour by sending me back to Nezu?"

Katsuki. Back in Nezu's hands. Tortured and tormented until no bits of his former self would ever emerge again.

"I'll kill you before that happens," Shoto said. "I promise."

Katsuki hesitated, as if considering the reliability of the offer, and then shook his head. "It's no good. What if you're not there to do it? I want one of those poison pills like the rest of you have."

Nightlock. There was one pill back at camp, in its special slot on the sleeve of (M/N)'s mockingjay suit. But there was another in the pocket of his current uniform. Interesting that they didn't issue one to Katsuki. Maybe Kaina thought he might take it before he had the opportunity to kill (M/N). It was unclear if Katsuki meant he would finish himself off now, to spare them from having to murder him, or only if the Capitol took him prisoner again. In the state he was in, (M/N) expected it would be sooner rather than later. It would certainly make things easier for the rest of them.

(M/N) didn't know if it was the pods, or the fear, or watching Mashirao die, but he felt the arena all around him. It was as if he had never left, really. Once again he was battling not only for his own survival but for Katsuki's as well. How satisfying, how entertaining it would be for Nezu to have (M/N) kill Katsuki. To have Katsuki's death on his conscience for whatever was left of his life.

"It's not about you," (M/N) said. "We're on a mission. And you're necessary to it." He looked at the rest of the group. "Think we might find some food here?"

Half of them stayed to guard Katsuki or keep an eye out for Nezu's broadcast, while the others hunted for something to eat. They found over thirty canned goods and several boxes of cookies. (M/N) poked around in the pile, about to settle on some cod chowder, when Katsuki held out a can to him. "Here."

(M/N) took it, not knowing what to expect. The label read "Lamb Stew".

(M/N) pressed his lips together at the memories of rain dripping through stones, his inept attempts at flirting, and the aroma of his favourite Capitol dish in the chilly air. So some part of it must still be in Katsuki's head, too. How happy, how hungry, how close they were when that picnic basket arrived outside their cave. "Thanks" (M/N) popped open the top. He bent the lid and used it as a makeshift spoon, scooping a bit into his mouth. Now this place tasted like the arena, too.

They were passing around a box of fancy cream-filled cookies when the beeping started again. The seal of Panem lit up on the screen and remained there while the anthem played. And then they began to show images of the dead, just as they did with the tributes in the arena. They started with the four faces of the TV crew, followed by Mashirao, Shoto, Denki, Katsuki and (M/N). Except for Mashirao, they didn't bother with the soldiers from 13, either because they had no idea who they were or because they wouldn't mean anything to the audience. Then the man himself appeared, seated at his desk, a flag draped behind him, the fresh white rose gleaming in his lapel.