Chapter 26

Chimwemwe's dedication to recovering was impressive and also a little scary

Chimwemwe's dedication to recovering was impressive and also a little scary. He'd made a resolution to be back to perfect health before the next basketball season commenced in five months and the progress he'd made in just two months had me in awe.

He was no longer dependent on a wheelchair, his upper body having fully healed, his left arm regaining its mobility and functionality after weeks of exercise and treatment. The only remaining thing was his leg, which he couldn't fully put his weight on yet, having to use crutches to get around.

I was preparing a light lunch at his kitchen counter when he came hopping into the living room on one leg, his bent left leg doing too much bouncing and trembling in the air.

"Chi! Come on, how many times do I have to tell you to stop doing that?" I whined with a fork pointed right at him.

"I'm sorry, baby girl." he said, not looking the slightest bit sorry. "I keep forgetting I'm a patient."

"Clearly." I deadpanned. "If you get yourself hurt again, we're fighting."

"I'll behave." he promised with his interlocked forefinger and middle finger pointing up at the ceiling.

I rolled mye eyes but smiled and walked over to the couch with a plate and two bottles of water. Chi sat back and I placed the plate on his lap, watching contentedly as he immediately begun to engulf the toasted chicken mayo sandwich I'd just made. He didn't even give the green salad on the side a second glance.

"Mmm," he moaned, "is there more where this came from?"

"It's for the road. You'll need to eat before you take your meds again in a few hours."

Chi nodded and sat back, his eyes on me as he chewed and swallowed. "Have I ever told you how gorgeous you are?"

I rolled my eyes with a grin on my face. "You told me just this morning, when I got here."

"I did, didn't I?" he said through a light-hearted chuckle, taking my hand in his. "Well, it's the truth. I can't wait to see that outfit you've been raving about later today."

My smile faltered a bit as I looked into his eyes. Today was the official grand reopening of the Mujulizi Art Gallery, courtesy of the work my sisters and I had put in with our uncles to ensure that the place would live up to our dad's standards as we took over. I knew Chi was as excited as the rest of our friend group, but I worried that being out there in Musomi would overwhelm him, since he'd spent the last couple of months either recovering at his place or at the KCCSC for his physical therapy sessions.

"Chi." I said pleadingly for the third time that day. "You know we'll still feel your support even if you don't physically go to the gallery today, right? That three hour ride will probably be torture on your leg."

"Hey, come on." he insisted. "Stop with all the worrying. The doctor said it's okay, so let's believe that it is, okay?"

"Fine." I huffed. "But if you find that it's too much for you, you'd better not come to me for help."