Chapter 1: Spite

Eighteen and a half years have passed since that tragic night...

The young wolf named Zen was born, grew up decently, and was raised fairly, but he was without his mother for sometime ever since she had left to go look for his uncle out of guilt of what happened between his father and Zan all those years ago, and only had his father to look after him.  She hasn't come back since she left Gongmen City a year and a couple months prior, and with that Zen and his father were left by themselves, which made him slightly bitter towards Zan even more-so, and he believes the only reason his wife's even out looking for Zan is because she wants them both to reconcile which can't and WON'T happen, according to him.  Zen approached his father's room this afternoon, and went inside to try and see if he'll tell him the truth about Zan's disappearance.

"Hey... why do you not want to speak with him, dad?  What happened between you two...?"
Zen asked his father, to which his father shook his head, and proceeded to be 'distant' about the subject once again like he was a few times before.  He turned away from Zen for a few minutes as he spoke to the young wolf.

"Son... it's... complicated, it's something you couldn't understand.  I don't hate him.  I was just disappointed."
He said, being very vague about the subject matter, which confused and beleaguered Zen because he just couldn't accept that kind of response from his own father.

"But, it's supposed to be in a family's nature to be truthful to their own!  You can't keep this from me forever, dad... and you know that..."
Zen exclaimed, and then gave his father a slight but overall moot warning, however, his father persisted with the notion that he has to keep this hidden from his son because he knows it'll only hurt him.  He doesn't want to see his flesh and blood be hurt by the truth, so he chooses to make excuses, equivocations, and anything else he can say to try and steer his son away from finding out what his uncle had done in the past.

"...Son, just... just don't start.  Please."
His father seems to have had enough, as his father took a quick glance of frustration, to which Zen scoffed and then frowned at him in disbelief.  Then his father stepped out for a couple minutes, leaving Zen to stew on what his dad said to him.  But not for too long, as Zen soon followed his father, and tried to stand up to him

"Where are you even going?!"
Zen blurted out, as he kept following his father, but his father ignored him and kept walking despite his son trying to get him to stop in his tracks.
"Dad! WHERE are you going??"
Zen snapped, to which his father snapped back at Zen and stared into his own son's eyes.
"I'm GOING out there to find your mother!!"
Zen stopped, and whimpered in a sheepish wolf fashion, looking at his father in shock.  Though, that shock turns into anger and maybe even despair.
"So, you're just leaving me here... to find mom, even though she'll be back soon!?"
Zen exclaimed in an upset manner, seeming to have a breakup in his voice when he says it.

"Son, she hasn't been home in a single YEAR...  What else am I supposed to do??"
His father said in retort, but his son retaliates back by saying, "You can't just go and get her ALONE!  At the VERY least let me come with you--"

"No, I can't... it's too dangerous for you to come with me.  And... even then... you would just... you'd just get in the way... I'm sorry."
His father sniffled, as he turned his back on his son once again, knowing that he's just hurting Zen more than helping him because he said the wrong thing, and didn't know how to rephrase it in the moment.  And so his father walked away, leaving Zen upset, as the young wolf stumbled to his knees, tears slowly beginning to drift down his face.

"Dad...!  DAD!!"
Zen has never looked so distraught before, at least, not once in his entire life.  And, with that he leaned his head back and let out a pained howl, with nothing else he can really do to stop his father from going out into the world on his own.  To which his father ignored again from afar, even though he had left his son to tend to the house on his own, he was determined to find Zen's mother, his own wife, so they can all be back together.  But, this one promise he made to himself, he would do everything in his power to keep Zan out of their lives out of unbridled spite, not just for Zan but for what he chose to do, something he'll probably never forgive him for.