Chapter 5

I had arrived at the ceremony late. I was not a fan of them, but I had no choice but to show up. I enter the cave and notice a few new faces. Some are the same age as me. Others are around Nurilla's age. My mother swam over to me as soon as she noticed I was there.

"You're late." she says, frowning at me.

"I'm sorry." I say. Her ruby crown glows brightly nearly blinding me. 

"Very well then." she responds, putting her arm around my shoulder. Her ruby bracelet poked me in the back. 

We made our way over to the stage. Nurilla was waiting for me. Beside her was a steel gray dolphin. She smiles as we approach.

"Ah, I thought you might never make it." she exclaims. The dolphin twirls at her side.

"I'm here." I say.

"You were late as well." the Siren Queen interrupted, looking at Nurilla.

Nurilla's cheeks flushed a light pink.

"Sorry, mother." she replied, embarrassed.

"On with the ceremony." our mother says, swimming to the edge of the stage that overlooked the crowd.

"Welcome!" she began. "To the first night of hunting for our younger generation!" The crowd cheered. "As you all know, tonight marks the night the young ones will partake in their first hunt!"

Nurilla and I have heard this speech many times. It's one thing watching the young sirens leave for their first hunt and another thing to be going. Nurilla looks over at me with a smile on her face.

"I'm excited for you, Sirena." she whispered.

"Thanks"

My mother continues her speech.

"In a few minutes, each young one will be assigned their partner. Once that is complete, you may begin!"

Everyone cheers.

"Now then, let us begin!"

A few moments later, a siren named Taylana is paired with a boy named Dirk, Soria is paired with Ras, and I am paired with a girl I don't recognize. Her scales are a dark red with a gold-lined underbelly. She has long red hair and a small black patch on the tip of her nose. She smiles at me and waves.

"Hi!"

"Hi!"

"I'm Melody." she says.

"I'm Sirena."I respond. We shook hands.

"I didn't expect to be paired with the princess." Melody says, her eyes wide. 

"Oh?" I responded, unsure of what else to say. Thankfully, the Queen begins to speak again, and the crowd goes quiet.

"Once you have been paired, make your way to the entrance!" she commands.

Melody and I look at each other and make our way through the tunnel. The beautiful blue and purple glow of the tunnel gives me a bit of confidence we head off.
Once we're out, I take a deep breath and look over at Melody.

"Ready?" I ask her.

"Of course." she replies, smirking.

"Well, let's go." I command, pointing towards the open waters before us. I speed through the shimmering blue water, and she follows.