Chapter 9

I woke up to the sound of voices. The last couple of days had been rough. I fell in and out of consciousness. The large metal bucket the sailors had stored me in hadn't exactly been comfortable. I had heard stories of sirens being captured. The terrible things the sailors did Nurilla had told me that they pin the sirens to the front of their ships. I had always doubted that. Even as the despair threatened to consume me, I clung to a glimmer of hope. 

I look around. I'm in a cold room. Its walls, worn and weathered, bear the marks of countless voyages. The window, a mere sliver of glass, allows only a meager glimpse of the world beyond. There is a small desk across from me. It's covered in torn maps. Suddenly, I hear the echoing thud of heavy footsteps drawing closer to me. My heart races. Will barges into the room alongside a jittery sailor. A shiver snakes down my spine as I catch a glimmer of a sinister smile forming on Will's lips. The sailor, overwhelmed by the sight of me, appears visibly on edge. 

"Welp, let's get her moved," Will declares with a twisted satisfaction in his voice. His cold gray eyes pierce through me, stripping away any hope of freedom. The reality sinks in, leaving me paralyzed with fear. The sailor firmly grasps my trembling arms, while Will himself lays hold of my tail. In a desperate bid for autonomy, I fervently whip Will across the face. He recoils, his gaze morphing into a formidable glare. 

"No need for that," he grumbles, his voice a menacing growl. As they forcefully drag me out of the room, my heart pounds in my chest, and my breaths come in short gasps. They begin up a narrow, creaky, wooden staircase. I will labor for air. Did I mention that a siren's tail isn't light? They drop me into a wooden crate at the top of the staircase. I slap my tail up and down, trying to get out, but my attempts are in vain as Will, with a heavy hand, places a wooden lid on top, sealing me in darkness.

 "That should hold her, "I hear him say. "Now we just need to get the crate to the tank in the palace," he continued. 

The mention of the palace brought a mix of curiosity and unease within me. What was my purpose here? Was I to be nothing more than a decorative object in the prince's collection, showcased to impress the nobles? As I pondered my fate, the sailor spoke, his voice young and vibrant. 

"Has the tank been filled, sir?" "Yes," came the response, steady and resolute. At least the fish got their freedom. I thought to myself. I feel the crate being lifted. 

"Steady," Will says as the sailor stumbles. I peer through a small hole in the wood. They lug the crate up another staircase and onto the deck. The sun shines through the cracks in the crate, giving me a bit of light. The salty smell of the sea greets me. It swirls through the gaps in the wood, dancing with my senses. Will and the sailor weave through the crowds of people on the wharf. I had never seen so many humans in one place before. Caseryia, vibrant and alive, was a symphony of vivid colors that threatened to overwhelm my senses. Never had I missed the golds, whites, and creams of my home more than I did right then. After what seemed like an eternity, we finally stopped. I hear Will's voice. 

"Get her into the tank, would you?" 

"Yes Sir." Two sailors respond. 

I feel the crate being lifted again. I peek out the small hole in the wood. We are inside the palace now. The creme-colored walls glisten. Moving with purpose, the sailors carried the crate through a pristine white door. I see the tank. Its vast expanse of crystal-clear waters resembles the purest shade of blue imaginable. The azure water was illuminated by a crystal chandelier that hung above it. The sailors gently placed the crate on the ground and, with a hefty effort, managed to pry open its lid. I peered at them intently, feeling a mixture of anticipation and curiosity. They lift me out. This time, not as roughly as before. They carry me up a marble staircase and drop me into the water. The warmth of the water catches me slightly off guard. As I swam towards the glass walls of the tank, the sailors observed me with a gleam of wonder in their eyes. The reflection of the water danced in the cerulean depths of one man's gaze.

 "Do you think she likes it?" he whispered, his voice carrying a touch of uncertainty. 

"I believe so," his companion replied, a hint of admiration lacing his words. Will enters the room. I back away from the glass as he approaches.

 "Well, I almost thought you wouldn't be able to get her in," he remarks. The sailors nod clearly, unsure of what to say. "I do believe the prince will want to see you." He says to me.

 As he turns back to the sailors, his voice becomes authoritative yet gentle. "You're dismissed," he states, dismissing them with a wave of his hand. They quickly lift the crate and hurry out. Will smiles.

 "I'll be back soon with the prince," he says, exiting the room. 

I swim leisurely around the tank, soaking in the opulence that surrounds me. The marble floor beneath me glistens, reflecting the glow of the carefully positioned lights above. The furniture adorning the room is pristine white, accentuated with delicate golden trimmings. Each piece exudes an elegance befitting a royal abode. After a while, Will returns with the prince behind him. I swam rapidly around the tank as boredom began to hit. The prince looks sad. His eyes were slightly red, as if he had been crying. I swim to the front of the tank and slap my tail against the glass impatiently. 

"Do you think she could break it?" the prince asks, watching me closely. 

Will chuckles, "I'd be surprised if she could. It's the strongest glass in Casyeria." I was tempted to use my full strength and shatter the glass, but I decided against it. 

"What do you want to do with her?" Will asks the prince. I listened closely, hoping the answer had something to do with freedom. 

"I'm not sure yet." He responds. He seemed distracted. Will seems to notice this. 

"Well, I'll be back in a bit," Will says and leaves. He turns to me. I stare at him. After a moment of silence, he speaks. 

"Can you understand me?" he asks.

 "Yes," I respond, lashing my tail. The prince looks surprised. 

"What do you want with me?" I ask. 

"You killed my best friend. You must pay for what you did," he retorts sharply, his tone laced with an undercurrent of righteous fury. 

I frown. "I didn't. My sister did." 

"The red-haired siren?" 

"Yes, her name is Nurilla," I say. Saying her name reminds me of just how much I missed her. The prince falls momentarily silent, absorbing this new information. Eventually, he speaks again.

"But you were with her," he observes, his words filled with a hint of accusation. 

"I was only there looking for jewels. I respond by rolling my eyes. "I have no interest in killing humans." 

"Where is Nurilla now?" 

"Back in Siren Cove, probably," I say. "Please don't go after her!" I pray that he will listen to me. 

"I won't." He says. His voice is soft. He studies me. His eyes linger on my jewels. 

"You like emeralds, huh?" he says. 

"They are my favorites," I say, twisting the emerald ring on my finger. I admire the way the gem glimmers under the lights. He takes a bracelet off his arm. It's covered in emeralds. He throws it into the water, and I swim to grab it. 

"Enjoy it," he says. His voice was imbued with a sense of reluctant kindness. 

"Thank you!" I say, slipping it on and fondly admiring it. Just then, the door to the room opens, and Will enters. 

"It's time for dinner," he announces. The prince sighs and nods. I watched him go. At the door, he looks back at me, then slips out. I swim to the corner of the tank to curl my tail. I hadn't intended on falling asleep, but I did, slipping off into a dream.