CHAPTER 7: Auntie Nanaface & The Sock Puppet Portraits

Among all of the strange and wondrous creatures of The 7 Layers, from the cold-hearted Time Ghosts of Gup to the strange little aardvarks of Earth, The Sock Puppet Portraits are unique.

They are, to put it simply, living and breathing framed photographs of sock puppets. Chief among their many distinctions is the fact that they can be found in every Layer but their own: Sock.

And it so happens that Theodore's only remaining true friend in the House was one of them.

***

Theodore stood where he had countless times before, in The Hall of The Sock Puppet Portraits. The familiar smell of fried onions and fresh-cut pine mingled with a touch-too-much floral perfume and greeted Theodore's nose like a comforting friend. The lush red carpet curled over his toes and extended down the hallway further than he could see or had dared to explore. On the musty wall hung a sea of ornate picture frames of gold and baroque wood, no two quite the same. A glimpse of the yellowing floral wallpaper beneath it peered through the small gaps between the frames. The Hall was spacious and well-furnished, lined with a homogenous hodge-podge of ancient soft sofas that were as comfortable as they were old. Theodore knew which ones were best for drawing in, and which were better for long naps after large meals. Rich and twisty dark wooden end tables dotted the carpet, each with a different little lamp on it, each with a marvelous shade that looked like it had been made from the stained-glass front window downstairs.

Inside each frame that hung on the wall was either a photograph of a sock puppet, or a small sign stating the empty party's name. Most of the Portraits held perfectly still, like any proper photograph ought. But if you waited long enough...

"Oh, hello, Theodore! I'm so glad you found time for a visit," Auntie Nanaface came to life and chirped from her prominently positioned polished blue frame on the wall

"Oh, hello, Theodore! I'm so glad you found time for a visit," Auntie Nanaface came to life and chirped from her prominently positioned polished blue frame on the wall. Hers was always the first portrait Theodore encountered upon entering the Hall, and hers was one of the largest of the bunch. e was

"Hi Nanaface, sorry I haven't been down to see you in a while," he said. He was always happy to see her, but without really saying anything, she always made him feel a little guilty for not coming to see her more.

"Oh that's ok, I know you're very busy!" she said warmly. He smiled, despite the subtle admonishment. "I'm just happy to see you when I can. But look at you, you're a mess! What have you gotten into?!" Nanaface asked, her knit-grey puppety brow furrowing in concern. Theodore instinctively both flinched and smiled at her fussing.

 Theodore instinctively both flinched and smiled at her fussing