Chapter 14: Professor Hero's Laboratory of Infinite Wisdom

Where do we go? What do we do?

Every week, day, hour, and minute we ask ourselves these questions. Something always happens, no matter what the answer. But such inquiry becomes that much more seemingly urgent after you've stepped through a doorway and into another parallel universe.

When Theodore found the nerve to step through the door that lead him to Gup, he felt a spinning sea of affirming urges rush him forward like a tide that could not be ignored. He needed to find the Brick and the Bird. He wanted to become a Magician Detective.

But now that he was here...he had no idea what his task was, or how to orient himself, and all he felt was tired.

Where does he go? What does he do? Some days are better than others, and some days you just want to take a nap.

***

"Thanks for saving my life several times over," Theodore said to the little pile of parts in his arms, shaking them slightly and wondering idly where he was keeping all of those ping pong balls.

"I am built to help children in need. Also, it was a self-serving act. If I hadn't helped you, there was a high probability that I would have been left as a discarded pile next to the eviscerated corpse of a lost little boy. I couldn't compute a metaphor for why my life was like that. I think I'm slipping."

"Right. Well, thanks anyways." He looked up to wonder again at the strange sky of interlacing lines. "So that's the Grid? Mister Caruthers mentioned it. I didn't know you could see it..."

"Technically, the Grid is everywhere, holding each and every molecule of the universe together. What first should be considered is the given species and its ocular capacity. If our calculation is specific to your anatomy, in certain spaces, the Grid becomes more apparent. According to current data, for your capacities: a clear sky in Gup is the strongest visual representation in the 7 Layers of Space due in no small part to the localized presence of the optic wave known colloquially as 'delf'."

"Yeah, that's kind of blowing my mind. So you can't see the color anywhere else? Or the Grid? Or both?"

"You can't. As far as you are concerned, the color is only in Gup. As for the Grid, the data is imperfect, and for me, second-hand. Suffice it to say that visual manifestations are rare."

Theodore nearly fell over as they walked looking up to admire it again and again. "I don't think I understand," he confessed, "but I like it."

They walked through the night and into the morning of Gup. As the harsh red sun rose, they finally arrived at the gate to Professor Hero's Laboratory of Infinite Wisdom. It was easy enough to tell where they were, because a rusted metallic sign with raised golden letters hung upon a small white picket fence and declared it. It reminded Theodore of a similar signpost in front of The House of the Magician Detective, but this was more worn and rustic.

He stopped in front of the door. "Can Professor Hero help?" he asked the pile of parts in his arms.

"Time in its infinite cruelty, will tell. Regardless, we have arrived at Professor Hero's Laboratory of Infinite Wisdom," the Buddy Bot said. As the gate swung open, a tinny recording of tiny regal trumpets blared from the mailbox. "And I suggest we enter."