Chapter 32: Trapped & Betrayed

It is universally known throughout The 7 Layers of Space that true betrayal feels lousy for all parties involved.

***

The Bird loomed over Theodore, and took a long step back. Through blurred eyes, Theodore could vaguely perceive that he and Isobel were surrounded on all sides by the miniature birds with gnashing little teeth that he had last seen (and hoped to never see again) on the Roof. In their mix were other, larger savage beasts, a few Ravenous Night Bats as well as several other seemingly feral and certainly unsavory creatures Theodore didn't recognize.

The Bird took another long step backwards to reveal and stand beside Terrycloth Green, who stood shoulders slumped, looking at the ground. The Bird put her weird stick figure wing around TCG's shoulder. Theodore's chest ached at the sight, not quite knowing what he was seeing and afraid to come to a logical conclusion.

Theodore pulled himself up off the ground, but he was immediately pinned back down by a rushing swath of small black birds, their button eyes shining in the harsh morning light. He looked around for a solution but saw none, all exits were blocked, and all eyes were on him.

"What is this?" he said.

"Pursuit and capture," replied The Bird, a high-pitched and maniacal retort. "No monkey friends? No men in hats? Who's that? Ha!" she seemed both spiteful and profoundly distracted at once.

Theodore struggled against the tiny birds to no avail. He looked to his side to see Isobel similarly pinned, though she held still, all of her anger held in her tensed body. The Buddy Bot was nowhere to be seen.

Behind The Bird and Terrycloth Green, the sea of menacing creatures seemed to form a hill. But the Bird stepped back and started to climb it like steps, and as she did, creatures fluttered and scattered to reveal an enormous vehicle that was parked in their midst. She gestured her wing and in a timed flourish a long and menacing turret swung to point at them. If Theodore had the word for it, he'd have known to call it a tank. Instead, he just felt more dread and confusion.

"Ha! Who is after who is after who is after you?"

"How did you find us?" Isobel hissed through clenched teeth.

"This one has served us," The Bird said, clicking her head to her side to indicate Terrycloth Green.

Terrycloth Green replied quietly, "I told you not to trust me. Several times." He was not wrong.

Theodore's head swam and he felt sick, he had no words. Isobel did.

"You little..." were two of those words she screamed. The rest were far more angry and quite colorful, I'm sure your imagination can fill in the inappropriate gaps.

Theodore bucked against the small birds and sent a few flying, but they held him fast as he struggled. He screamed at Terrycloth Green, "I saved you!"

"And I saved you," he responded quickly. "Listen, kid, this is not personal. My Power Pattern doesn't work anymore. I'd been stuck in that place longer than ten of your little lives. I needed an exit strategy, Truncheon needed to get to you. For a human and a would-be Magician, you're half-okay, but it's business." He carried on more quietly, "I just told them where to find you..." He rubbed his fuzzy hands together in a washing motion and stared at the ground, not making eye contact.